Forum Discussion

Elio_C
Level 6
10 years ago

Index 32 to 64-bit Upgrades

Sanity check and some practical advice please.

My current situation EV10.0.4 with 2 x 1TB 32-bit Closed Index locations and 1 x 1TB Open Index location. As I upgrade the indexes, new folders for the 64-bit Indexes are created in the Open Index location and removed from the closed 32-bit Index locations.

I am now at a point where the Open location is approaching capacity and I have lots of free disk space on the closed locations.

My questions is once the current Open location is full should I:

• Re-Open the closed locations and continue upgrades.
  • Or create new Index locations in the free space on the closed locations storage.

Either approach makes sense to me, concern is what happens once the 32-bit locations are completely upgraded, would I just delete these Index locations?

Any information or practical knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

• EV will only delete the archive indexes that have been converted, it will not delete root paths

So when you upgraded, every archive should now have two index folders, a closed 32bit index and open 64bit index. The conversion simply adds the 32bit indexed items to the 64bit index and then deletes the old 32bit index like you pointed out

It will not delete the Root folders once all the indexes have been converted.
    So if you were to close the newer Index Folders because they're getting full, and re-open the old index location, all archives that had indexes in the closed location will now have a second opened index folder in the old locations

7 Replies

• EV will only delete the archive indexes that have been converted, it will not delete root paths

So when you upgraded, every archive should now have two index folders, a closed 32bit index and open 64bit index. The conversion simply adds the 32bit indexed items to the 64bit index and then deletes the old 32bit index like you pointed out

It will not delete the Root folders once all the indexes have been converted.
    So if you were to close the newer Index Folders because they're getting full, and re-open the old index location, all archives that had indexes in the closed location will now have a second opened index folder in the old locations

• i'd retire the old 32bit locations once you've completed all the upgrades, reclaim the space, and then you can allocate it to the new indexes or wherever else you need it.

• Thanks for the reponse.

So I could re-open the currently closed Index locations, containing only 32-bit Indexes, and continue the upgrade to 64-bit Indexes into them. Each Index will then have 2 folders:

closed 32-bit index folder and open 64-bit index folder
    or closed 64-bit index folder and open 64-bit index folder

Which is fine. Once the Index upgrade is complete I'm back to normal operation.

• Thanks for the reponse.

So I would create new Index locations on the same storage as the Closed locations. Once the Index upgrades are complete I would retire (I assume remove form the VAC?) the now empty Index location.

I'm then back to normal operation.

• it's up to you if you want to reuse the same storage as the closed locations depending on how much free space you have. by retire, i meant the old drives or disks or whatever you had the 32bit locations on but the way you describe above is perfectly fine too. when you look at the new indexing management in the VAC, you can see how many 32bit vs 64bit index volumes you have and once all the 32bit volumes are upgraded, it'll only show 64bit. then you know you're ready to move forward with the rest of the plan.

• Thanks again, my preferred solution is to re-open the existing, any thoughts on this method? (trying to avoid new storage requests, AV security exceptions for new index folder exclusions, change requests to update AV policies, backup requests for new folders etc... )

• i think it's cleaner to create new rather than reopening existing but i guess that's just personal preference. you're using the same disk in the end.