Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Indexing issues - Service wont stop and upgrade info

Hi, Vault 11 on 2008 R2.   Indexing Service I was having some user issues so I though I would restart my server. However, the Indexing service is refusing to stop and I don't really want ...
    10 years ago

Hello James,

I have the same when trying to stop the indexing services. It takes forever. It will shutdown eventually. This might have to do with the (concurrent?) upgrade running.

What I have done to sort of work around this:

Upgrade the archives with the smallest amount of items first. I did batches in which I moved up with 1000 (i.e. 0 to 1000, 1000 to 2000 etc) Eventually, you only have a few large ones left. If you have Journal Mailboxes, configure a new archive and use the new archive before upgrading the old archives indexes.

The fact that it says ' requires user attention" indicates there is an issue with the upgrade, and you need to check inthe Task Monitor page. Click the task, see what state the upgrades are in. You can rightclick a subtask, and select retry, continue etc. I'd continue...

Also verify you run the upgrades OUTSIDE of your archiving window, or stop archiving (if you can) for the time you are upgrading the majority of your users. Out of curiosity, what are the hardware specs of the server?