Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Migrating EV 9.0.4 SQL 2005 Database into another SQL 2012 ?

Folks,

here's my current situation:

EV 9.0.4
SQL Server 2005 Standard SP4 (mirrored)

I'd like to know if it is still possible and supported by Symantec if I just migrate the SQL Server from 2005 into 2012 and set the database in compatibility mode into SQL 9 in SQL Server 2012 only to simplify the migration process ?

I can see that from the compatibility matrix this is not supported (see attached doco).

• Hello John,

As stated in the guide, running EV9 databases on SQL2012 is not supported. This does not imply it does not work, it is simply not supported. You run the risk of running into issues, and when support finds you run EV9 on SQL2012, they probably will not help, until you go back to SQL2005/2008.

What I would do is to upgrade to EV10 first, then move to SQL2012.

• Correct, the earliest version of EV to work on SQL 2012 is EV10.0.2. 

7 Replies

• Hello John,

As stated in the guide, running EV9 databases on SQL2012 is not supported. This does not imply it does not work, it is simply not supported. You run the risk of running into issues, and when support finds you run EV9 on SQL2012, they probably will not help, until you go back to SQL2005/2008.

What I would do is to upgrade to EV10 first, then move to SQL2012.

• Thanks for the clarification, so does the latest 9.0 SP5 can be used with SQL 2012 ?

So even running on compatibility mode is not supported by SYmantec ?

• Correct, the earliest version of EV to work on SQL 2012 is EV10.0.2. 

• Many thanks people.

I'm not in the position to do the EV upgrade but the SQL Server 2005 SP4 box will be decommissioned soon, os I guess I will migrate the DB into SQL 2012 and set the compatibility mode in the time being.

Hopefully I can still migrate it into EV 10.0.5

• John, I advise strongly that if you really need to migrate to another SQL, go to a supported version! SQL2008R2 is supported for EV9.

Please convince whoever you need to convince that moving the databases of EV9.0.x running on SQL2012 is NOT supported by Symantec. If you get issues, they will not be able to support you. Probably not a good idea if you ask me.

I've been in the same position, and have managed to get the sites on SQL208R2 for now. As soon as all are on EV10SP4 (CHF1/2), we'll investigate SQL2012.