Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Pass- Through Recall - Crashes Server

Please help!

I configured Pass Through recall yesterday on my FSA installation. on EV8.0.3 to enable shadow copies to work. Since doine this the file server crached 3 times 2008 R2 standard.

So I would like to reverse this. At the moment I have disabled the placeholder service on the file server. which I hope will stop it from crashing,

Now when I try to un-check the option to enable pass-through recall it is greyed out on both the file server and the volumes. I need to reverse this.

The screenshot below shows that it is greyed out. I tried this with the FSA archiving task running and stopped.

Server

Volume

Any advice is helpful

• I think this might be your issue:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126358

7 Replies

• I am pretty sure if the FSA Agent isn't running that option will be greyed out.  It needs to communicate with the FSA Agent to make sure Pass-through is able to be configured.

Start the FSA Agent and you should see the option there.

• I agree with Tony.

Also when you say your file server crashing, what exactly do you mean? Are services hanging or does it have BSOD etc. I would run ProcMon , PerfMon and enable dumpster etc. and check the logs.

• It happen last night shortly after I made the change. I was doing a restore of some archived files (windows shadow copy restore) and boom it went. it came back up and I had to reboot again cleanly to get service back to the users.

Today in production it went again. This time it would not come back up, Constant BSOD anf reboot. I started in safe mode and disabled the placeholder service. and whola it came back up. At the moment users cannot access their FSA archives. I have scheduled downtime tonight to resolve. So I'm reversing the change.

I'll have to start placeholder service to disable the pass-through and this is a concern of mine considering what happened.

Graham

• I think this might be your issue:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126358

• You might want to check the file version of the FSA Agent on the file server and may sure it matches the Ev server version.

This technote is related to EV8 SP1 but may be useful to go through it.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70226

If after disabling the Pass-through recall and you still get the BSOD (which I hope it does not) then I would log a case with support to check your logs. I suspect the FSA agent (dll and sys files are corrupted), may be worth reinstalling them.

Hope this helps.

• and what Tony said :-). Hadn't seen that before I replied!!!!

• This seems to be exactaly what wer'e expereincing,

And probably a typical scenario, We had space issues and got into the habbit of compressing files and folders.

Then introduced FSA.

Only yesterday di d I enable pass through.

Thanks a million.