Forum Discussion

igor-m
Level 2
11 years ago

Retrieving permissions configured to folders

Hello,

We have an issue where part of company archives contain folders accessible by other company users by using Archive Explorer. The problematic folders mostly the folders which were migrated by using PST export/import from legacy archiving solution to Enterprise Vault. All of these folders placed under folder named "Old Archive" and, since during the PST import process no corresponding folders and stubs were created in the users mailboxes I don't see any way how to control access to these problematic folders. Is there any way not owner's permissions to archived folders can be retrieved and controled?

Thanks

• There isnt anything EV specific which can do this igor-m, one of our Partners may be able to help with a script/tool or something but EV is unable to do this other than via PermissionsBrowser which obviously is not suitable for 5000 archives.

You can pull back which archives have manual permissions applied to them via a SQL query but you are unable to find out who those permissions include and what those permissions are unfortunately.

5 Replies

• Hello Igor,

I'm not sure what you are asking, but to check permissions on an archive, you can use a tool called permission browser. This is located in the Enterprise Vault program file folder, called PermissionBrowser.exe

When you start it, it is very clear how to use.

I hope this helps.

• Are you looking to find out who, in Outlook/Exchange, has 'non standard' permissions on folders within their mailbox?

• Hello Getjan,

I am looking for a way to retrieve not standard permissions on all company archives and change them where needed. Permission Browser is good tool but does not provide option to retrieve permissions in bulk. There are about 5000 archives where we require to review and fix permissions to folders.

Thanks

• There isnt anything EV specific which can do this igor-m, one of our Partners may be able to help with a script/tool or something but EV is unable to do this other than via PermissionsBrowser which obviously is not suitable for 5000 archives.

You can pull back which archives have manual permissions applied to them via a SQL query but you are unable to find out who those permissions include and what those permissions are unfortunately.

• There is a permissions per folder 'checker' in the downloads section .. might be helpful.