Forum Discussion

15 years ago

The external FQDN of the EV server should be used when setting up the 'alias'

Hi All,

I am very annoyed because I have spent a fair amount of time installing and configuring EV 8 in a exchange 2007 environment. It all works fine inside the firewall but its a different story outside the corporate network, all the clients use outlook anywhere and all require all functions including offline vault.... I have since realized that if I had named the EV server alias an FQDN the whole job would of been much much more straight forward. We don't use ISA and I have implemented split DNS for outlook anywhere as it just seems wrong to use one name for internal resources and another for external the process for the users should be seamless.

Now I have seen this http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/316191.htm

quote "The external FQDN of the EV server should be used when setting up the 'alias' for the Enterprise Vault Server.  This way when the default web app URL is formed, it will be resolvable from outside the organization (provided it is published appropriately at the firewall)."

I am pretty sure I followed the installation guide very closely and never saw this advise.

So my question is can the EV server Alias be renamed to reflected a external FQDN?

TIA
Steve
  • Steve

I don't know if EV really checks the certificate, but it's possible that this is the problem.
    UC certificate with a SAN name would probably solve this, yes.
    However, you should try this out first before requesting a paid certificate and just finding out that it doesn't work.

Create your own SAN certificate with your own CA (which is trusted on the client).

Cheers

16 Replies