Forum Discussion

mart_g
Level 4
11 years ago

Unable to open archive items in Enterprise Vault Integrated Search

EV version: 10.0.1

-------------------------------------------------

Got this error message when trying to open all archive items in EV integrated search on EV server

"could not show this item. try again. if it still fails,contact your help desk. the handle is invalid"

The strange thing is if Outlook (2007) is running, the archive can be displayed without issue. So, that means Outlook must be running for the archive items to be click open successfully. 

I tried going to the direct url : http://evserver/enterprisevault/searcho2k.asp and the issue is the same.

Have tried on a user desktop without this issue, so it is happening only on EV server. 

Appreciate your help. smiley

• Does the message get prompted to save as a MSG file? or does it immediately attempt to open in Outlook?

But OK, so since EV8 I believe, the EV Client was not installed as part of the server build, meaning the EV tools shouldn't show in Outlook. But you're saying the toolbar shows in Outlook and you can click integrated search? which means on that server you have the client.

And if you haven't been updating the client when you install the server, could be that you have a really old client version when running 10 SP1. And even then having the client installed on the server is a really bad idea.

But can you check through Programs and Features that the Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add In is or is not installed? If the client is installed and you uninstall it, you'll probably break the server because it shares the same registry keys and will remove keys that the server is dependant on.

Really though, you should stop the EV Services, uninstall the client, reinstall the EV Binaries and reboot the server. You will lose the EV toolbar in outlook, but you should be able to retrieve items from AE/Search etc

5 Replies

• Does the message get prompted to save as a MSG file? or does it immediately attempt to open in Outlook?

But OK, so since EV8 I believe, the EV Client was not installed as part of the server build, meaning the EV tools shouldn't show in Outlook. But you're saying the toolbar shows in Outlook and you can click integrated search? which means on that server you have the client.

And if you haven't been updating the client when you install the server, could be that you have a really old client version when running 10 SP1. And even then having the client installed on the server is a really bad idea.

But can you check through Programs and Features that the Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add In is or is not installed? If the client is installed and you uninstall it, you'll probably break the server because it shares the same registry keys and will remove keys that the server is dependant on.

Really though, you should stop the EV Services, uninstall the client, reinstall the EV Binaries and reboot the server. You will lose the EV toolbar in outlook, but you should be able to retrieve items from AE/Search etc

• Hi JesusWept3,

Thanks for replying. Just to clarify, the integrated search I meant was in EV admin console where you performed the search of the archive. So No, there is no EV tool bar in Outlook. Also, when I try to install EV Outlook add-in the EV server, it wouldn't let me saying that there is already a version installed.

• Use the EV advanced search page to open Items

http://localhost/enterprisevault/search.asp.

Outlook can be configured to use this automatically with the following steps:

1. Open the EV Administration Console.

2. Expand EVSite|Policies|Exchange|Desktop.

3. In the right pane right click on Default Mailbox Policy and select Properties.

4. Click on Advanced tab.

5. Select Outlook from the dropdown.

6. Change the option Search Behavior from In outlook to Separate Browser.

7. Synchronize the mailboxes to have this change take effect.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH59024

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH139011

• Hi Merv,

Thanks for the reply.

Already tried that. This issue only happened on the EV server, not on client desktop. I do not want to make system wide changes.

• One of the technotes has an option to check and remove regkey: Solution: Option 1 - Disable or remove the PSTDisableGrow registry key This key must be disabled or removed in order for the button to function properly. It is located in the following location depending on the version of Outlook: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\PST PSTDisableGrow =0