Forum Discussion

Stanleyj
Level 6
14 years ago

5200 replication

I need to see if any one has documentation on how to replicate data from one 5200 to another. My environment is 7.0.1 but i will be upgrading in the next few days to 7.1. i wouldnt think that would make a difference but you never know.
  • Hi Stanleyj,

Note that the comment talks about 'optimized duplication'. When you setup SLPs to do duplication, optimized duplication is used if source and and destination support it. In case of NetBackup appliances, optimized duplication is indeed used.

In other words, when you initiate duplications as I explained earlier; you are indeed using this optimized method of sending just the unique data. This happens behind the scene.

Hope this helps.

10 Replies

• Hi Stanleyj, It is a simple process. Once you configure both appliances under a master server, simply create a storage lifecycle policy where the first destination (backup destination) is the first appliance's deduplication pool and second destination (duplication) is your other appliance's deduplication pool. When you use this SLP in backup policies, replication occurs for backups. No need to upgrade to 7.1 to make use of this feature.
  • I was not under the impression that setting up a duplication job is how symantec was refering to replication between the two appliances. One of the these appliances is going to be located in our DR site and I was thinking that the deduped data on the in house appliance is all that would be replicated to the other appliance. I dont want duplication jobs sending data over the WAN all through out the day. What happens to the data that is currently on the appliance? You cant setup a duplication job to get that data transfered over.
  • Abdul, I just found this comment posted by you in another topic. This is actually what i am wanting to do. It doesnt sound like an slp duplication job is all that is required to accomplish this. "For a scalable global dedupe solution you need NB5000s or NB5020s. NB5200s are suitable as media servers in data centers. They can also function as a media server with dedupe for remote office use cases where the data from remote clients are backed up and deduped. Later they can be replicated (optimized duplication) to central data center which would be hosting a global dedupe pool based on NB50x0. This design uses less bandwidth as just the unique data is sent over WAN to central data center. You get local restores using the low retention images on NB5200, long term images are restored from NB50x0 over WAN. This design also makes the images at the central data center a DR hub for remote sites. "
  • Hi Stanleyj,

Note that the comment talks about 'optimized duplication'. When you setup SLPs to do duplication, optimized duplication is used if source and and destination support it. In case of NetBackup appliances, optimized duplication is indeed used.

In other words, when you initiate duplications as I explained earlier; you are indeed using this optimized method of sending just the unique data. This happens behind the scene.

Hope this helps.

• Hey Mate,

Dont forget to set OptimizedImage attribute on both 5200 for the optimized duplication:

nbdevconfig -changests -stype PureDisk -storage_server storage_server_name

-setattribute OptimizedImage

nbdevconfig -changedp -stype PureDisk -dp storage_server_name

-setattribute OptimizedImage

• Hey Sabastian,

where exactly do i run the commands you provided to enable the optimized image?  Do i login as root on both appliances?

• Is there a way to tell if the optimized duplication is actually working?  I finally got the appliances to start duplicating jobs and i see it initilize the optimized duplication but the write time show 00:00:00

granted resource MediaID=@aaaab;DiskVolume=PureDiskVolume;DiskPool=dp_disk_nbuappl01;Path=PureDiskVolume;StorageServer=nbuappl01;MediaServer=nbuappl02
    6/1/2011 3:43:20 PM - Info Duplicate(pid=9716) Initiating optimized duplication from @aaaab to @aaaac     
    6/1/2011 3:44:41 PM - begin writing
    6/1/2011 3:44:41 PM - end writing; write time: 00:00:00 

the jobs are successful but for some reason i dont feel its doing the optimized duplication.  I did not run the commands listed above because i am not sure how to on the appliances.

• Sabastian,

I figure out the directory I needed to be in for to run the optimized duplication commands.  The first one was successful but the second said it was unable to find the disk pool.  Is the second command necessary for the OD to start working?  Thanks

• You do not need to run nbdevconfig to set OptimizedImage in this case. That attribute is needed if you want to make use of Optimized Synthetic Backups.

The message in Activity Monitor "Initiating optimized duplication from @aaaab to @aaaac" does prove that you are actually doing optimized duplication. If the performance is not satisfactory, I would recommend opening a case with Symantec technical support for diagnostics.

Warm regards,

Rasheed

• Will you please suggest if the link between production & DR site is extended/stretched fabric or IP based?