Forum Discussion

RogerBoy
Level 2
11 years ago

Can NetBackup Appliance 5230 backup via ethernet?

If there is no storage in the backup environment and we have to use the 5230 storage, also we have to connect the servers via ethernet. Can the backup process work?

• Yes - it can be a Master / Media Server or just a Media Server

I have customers that use them both ways - a lot of people like to have a Windows Master hosted on VMware and use the appliances as media Servers - but they can do either or both roles

6 Replies

• The appliance is a NetBackup Media Server with its own backup storage - it can do anything that a normal media server can do - so can back up via eithernet, fibre (FT) or fibre (VMware LUNS)

Hope this helps - if not please explain exactly what you mean

Thanks

• It can act as both master server and media server at the same time. Is my understanding right?

• Yes - it can be a Master / Media Server or just a Media Server

I have customers that use them both ways - a lot of people like to have a Windows Master hosted on VMware and use the appliances as media Servers - but they can do either or both roles

• OK, that's what I want to understand. If the appliance backup data via LAN,  is the speed much slower than the SAN?

Many thanks.

• An appliance can have 4 teamed 10g networks so when using LACP (802.3ad) that could be a 40gb pipe - way faster that the 8gb fibre

It all depends on your environment, what you are backing up and what the clients / infrastructure can deliver.

Impossible to really say one way or the other - especially as backups over the LAN using accelerator can be VERY fast .. but then so can VMware accelerated backups over the SAN!!

Glad i could help - the rest has too many vairables to really put any figures on it without indepth analysis