Forum Discussion

sdo
11 years ago

NetBackup KMS when appliance is master/media?

Hi, Master/media NB5230 v2.6.0.1, and FC to LTO6 drives in HP MSL 2024. I know how to setup and configure NetBackup KMS.  At this point in time I'm not interested in MSEO. The Appliance v2.6...
    11 years ago

Now, having SAID that, let me point out THIS note on page 9 of that same HCL:

With version 2.6 and later, KMS is supported with Appliances configured as either a Master or a Media Server. With a NetBackupCLI administrator account in the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu, an Appliance Master Server can administrate KMS with tape devices connected to itself or another NetBackup Appliance. Regenerating the data encryption key is the only supported method of recovering KMS on an Appliance Master Server.

With versions earlier than 2.6, KMS is only supported when the Appliance is configured as a Media Server, and a non-Appliance Master Server is required to administrate KMS with devices connected to a NetBackup Appliance.

This appears to override the previous stuff I just quoted.  So now I'm going to flip-flop and speculate that perhaps something DID change in 2.6... yet didn't make it into the 2.6.0.1 Admin Guide - or the 2.6.0.2 one, for that matter.

So...ignore my previous post and go with this one.  :)    YES, it is now supported for any master server from 2.6 forward.  (We'll try to fix that note up there in the 2.6.0.3 Guide.)

(Researching further, I think there had to be some CLISH changes that had to be made before we could say it was "supported.")