Forum Discussion

PranavB
Level 4
10 years ago

Roll back to previous version -Netbackup APpliance

Geeks !

We have 4 appliances running on 7.6.0.2 ( 2.6.0.2). Now our master server on which we have to add these as media is on 7.5.0.6 and we cannot upgrade it for some time.

How do we roll back to 2.5.0.3 on these appliances.

Thanks,

PranavB

• without rollback.... factory reset using USB (complete wipe with data loss) is only way you can go back to 2.5.3

wondering why would you want to roll back? any issues

what is your master server  NBU version?

opscenter must be higher or equal to master server

master server should be higher than anything in NBU domain

media server must be equal or lower to master

client must be equal or lower to media and master

10 Replies

• PranavB,

Kindly check "NetBackup Appliance 2.6.0.2 Release" notes

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH215209

====================

PRODUCT DEPENDENCIES
    ====================

-- After a successful installation, rollback from this version of NetBackup Appliance to version 2.6.0.1 is supported. However, rollback is not supported for upgrades from version 2.5.x to 2.6.0.x.

=======================
    ROLLBACK INSTRUCTIONS
    =======================

NOTE: Rollback is not supported for upgrades from version 2.5.x to 2.6.0.x.

• without rollback.... factory reset using USB (complete wipe with data loss) is only way you can go back to 2.5.3

wondering why would you want to roll back? any issues

what is your master server  NBU version?

opscenter must be higher or equal to master server

master server should be higher than anything in NBU domain

media server must be equal or lower to master

client must be equal or lower to media and master

• As CJS says, you can't roll back, you re-image.  Factory Reset is a little different than re-imaging, but that's what CJS is referring to.  You'll need 2.5.3 USB keys from Support to boot to and completely re-image the system.  

I'm with CJS, why not upgrade the master?  Even if there are a lot of media servers already associated to that master, they can stay at their current version.

• reimage that's  i was referring to .. thanx mate .. i couldn't recollect it... 

• THe only reason I cannot upgrade master as it is a 32 bit OS and ordering a new box and setting up will take 15-20 days atleast.

• Virtualization is amazing to leverage :-)

If your master is on windows 32 bit... create 64 bit windows  VM  (prefer 2008 R2 SP1)

Backup your 32 bit catalog and other configurations to basic disk on master server itself (create 1 if it doesn't have) 

copy DR file and catalog backup to another network share where new VM can access it later

provide same IP and hostname to VM (ensure 32 bit host is power off or is not in network (unplu the network and reset computer account from active directory to avoid GUIDs) let new VM get registered with AD with same hostname as old)

install NBU 7.5 and patch with 7.5.0.6

copy DR file and catalog backup back to local disk and create basic disk

perform catalog import for these images

Restore your catalog 

as this is VM thus you will not have your tape drives connected to it (zoning tapes drives to Guest VM is not certified though many have claimed it to technically worked. - Do not attempt to zone it, you might mess with it)

once you feel catalog is completely recovered..

backup your catalog and perform test backup and recovery from disk units and as well as from appliances..

Verify appliance and master and client are able to resolve each other.

get NBCC analyzed from support just to be safe side.resolve any consistencies if found

as windows is 64bit and 2008 R2 you are officially in support matrix for 7.6.x upgrade.

perform upgrade to 7.6.0.3 (it's released last week i believe.. check CRZ blogs or articles or google it)

till master are upgrade keep appliance services stop....

start services and verify connectivity..

if in case you have opscenter in environment... upgrade it first.. even before master server... 

else data collection won't work.

• Thanks CJS ! Indeed VM is a good solution to move to 64bit but we do not have a VM environment there,it is happening on one of our remote sites and we looking to build a physical box only !

Checking with SYm if they can ship USB keys to our site.

Thanks,

Pranav

I am checking with Sym 

• hope you read it correctly..... reimaging would let you loose all data lying on appliances....Hope you plan out for same if in case you got important backups in it..

• You could also consider implementing an appliance as a master, it would be much faster than deploying a BYO server.

• No data on it yet - I have to seed the data for remote clients which I am planning to backup on it.