Forum Discussion

ldias
Level 4
12 years ago

All restores not working but backup's are

Hi guys,

Since yesterday I have faced a very strange problem on my netbackup environment. I didn't made any change.

The problem is: all my restores doesn't work. Actually it starts until the point  is asks for media needed

09:11:50 (78636.xxx) Restore job id 78636 will require 1 image.
09:11:50 (78636.xxx) Media id XXX014 is needed for the restore.

It happens with any client with different media tapes and robots.

Backup are working fine. That's the most awkward.

Don't know where to start looking...

Yesterday evening I made a test. Just after I restarted netbackup services on master and media servers I runned a restore fine but after a while (about 15-30) minutes all restores got same status, waiting so long. For a given restore I could get another message

17:14:49 (77387.001) (77387.001) ERR - Timed out waiting for the media to be mounted and positioned.
17:14:49 (77387.001) (77387.001) ERR - Timed out waiting for the media to be mounted and positioned.

No problem with robots communication since backup are working fine.

I found a thread, not exactly related, since even small restores (single files) have same behavior.

In NetBackup 7.1, restore jobs for more than 100,000 files may be delayed for several hours before starting to write data (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH164518)]

• I have only ever needed to kill the 'bprd -dontfork -mpxmainprocess (PID 14094 in your case)  and cancel the restore job in Activity Monitor. This will in no way affect your Oracle backup.

As per my post above, I have only ONCE been able to get a permanent solution for this issue because we were able to collect level 5 logs at the right time for Support.

BTW - FORCE_RESTORE_... entries are located in bp.conf on the master server.

15 Replies