Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Capacity licensing - front-end

I would like to understand how the capacitive license works. If I have 1 TB of data (example 1 file server) and I want to make 1 full backup for 3 days (1x3= 3 TB), how many tera should I buy? retention is considered (I must to buy 1 or 3 TB)?

you have any link / document with practical examples

Thank you,

Jim

• Under license model based on FETB(Front End Tera Bytes), you need to purchase licenses based on amount of data to be protected - not amount of data kept in NetBackup. You only need to purchase 1TB for 1TB data - do not need to multiply by generation and retention.

3 Replies

• Under license model based on FETB(Front End Tera Bytes), you need to purchase licenses based on amount of data to be protected - not amount of data kept in NetBackup. You only need to purchase 1TB for 1TB data - do not need to multiply by generation and retention.
  • Yasuhisa is correct, Purchase only amount data you protect, if get's copied to another media set, it doesn't matter as it's same piece of data. However if for 1TB of data would recommend to keep buffer analysing your growth trend rate and make purchase accordingly.

e.g. 1 TB is present situation, who knows it might get crossed over another 1 TB in short span then ???

Do not worry NBU won't stop protecting it, but from compliance perspective your organization would fall under licensed. So It's better to make decision at beginning and for tracking of your utilization

I guess incrementals are available in 250GB or 1 TB only . For better clarity sync with your sales account manager , they would help you with sizing

Just go through below link it would help you

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/symantec-opscenter-deployment-analysis-netbackup