Forum Discussion

sagar666
Level 5
8 years ago

Catalog Backup partially sucessful

Hi,

I have moved the db images to another filesystem and Created the symbolic link. Below is the process what i have done.

Stoped all netbackup services

Step1: cp -pr /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images /db/netbackup/db/images/

Step2: mv /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images /db/netbackup/db/images_bak

step3: ln -s /db/netbackup/db/images/images /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images

started all netbackup services

Started  few scheduled backups and later Catalog backup started but getting error code 1 that is Partially sucessful 

Below is the details of Job description

01/18/2017 10:07:13 - Error bpbrm (pid=8610) from client inbmaster.asicdesigners.com: ERR - Unable to process CATALOG_BACKUP inbmaster.asicdesigners.com hw_home_1479997800_INCR.f
01/18/2017 10:07:16 - Warning bpbrm (pid=8610) from client inbmaster.asicdesigners.com: WRN - /usr/openv/netbackup/db/error/daily_messages.log is only being backed up as a symbolic link
01/18/2017 10:07:16 - Info bpbkar (pid=8614) bpbkar waited 18266 times for empty buffer, delayed 23409 times
01/18/2017 10:07:17 - Info bptm (pid=8615) waited for full buffer 33267 times, delayed 34091 times
01/18/2017 10:07:39 - Info bptm (pid=8615) EXITING with status 0 <----------
01/18/2017 10:07:39 - Info bpbrm (pid=8610) validating image for client inbmaster.asicdesigners.com
01/18/2017 10:07:39 - Info bpbkar (pid=8614) done. status: 1: the requested operation was partially successful
01/18/2017 10:07:39 - end writing; write time: 0:13:27
the requested operation was partially successful (1)

hw_home is the policy that is disabled.

Please help to fix

Thanks,

• "I digged more info from team got to know incidently they have deleted the few files. "

I don't have words!

Do they understand the implication of what they did?
    Do they know about 'image retention'?

You should be able to restore the missing files from a previous catalog backup.

14 Replies

• I think you might need to open a support case to get your environment properly inspected and possibly fixed, if it's fixable.

Perhaps a procedure like this for anyone else coming across this post in future.

1) de-activate all SLPs

2) de-activate all backup policies (except the catalog backup)

3) de-activate all DSSU schedules

4) take a catalog backup

5) take an image list count:  bpimagelist -idonly -d 01/01/1970 00:00:00 | wc -l

6) netbackup stop

7) check it really is stopped:   bpps -x

8) do the move

....but are you sure those commands did the right thing?  why no -v switch and tee capture of what was actually moved?  why the double trailing "/images/images" on the link target, looks weird.

9) inspect the target structure:   ls -lash  MYNEWPATH

10) netbackup start

11) has it all started ok:   bpps -x

12) check the image list count:  bpimagelist -idonly -d 01/01/1970 00:00:00 | wc -l

13) enable one test policy, and run one small backup

14) check the image list count: bpimagelist -idonly -d 01/01/1970 00:00:00 | wc -l

15) run a catalog backup

16) If you are happy, then re-activate:  SLPs, policies, DSSU.

With something like this - my advice is to build a test system and prove the procedure before implementing in production.  But then that's easy for me to say after the horse has bolted.

• What was the purpose of step 2?

To rename images folder under /usr/openv or to really move entire folder and contents to /db? And thus having 2 copies of images in /db?

The paths in /db look very long and 'messy'. And images folder within another images folder?

Even so - the test is to cd to /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images.
    What does 'ls -l' show?

The image file that is showing the error has nothing to do with deactivated policy. 
    It is a .f file that was created during a backup that was done on 24 Nov 2016.

Can you locate the file by using 'normal' path from /usr/openv?

sagar666
      Level 5

Hi Marianne

What was the purpose of step 2?

Root file system got filled up. So I moved to another file system that is under /db as backup

Yes it is messy i created one images directory so its looks odd

[root@inbmaster ~]# ls -l /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Jan 18 06:13 /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images -> /dbimages/images/images

Can you locate the file by using 'normal' path from /usr/openv?

I did not get your question, You mean move back images directory to same location?

tunix2k
        Level 5

Hi,

in this case a better solution would be to migrate the complete masterserversoftware from /usr/openv to another volumen/disk and mount them under /usr/openv

ciao

tunix2k