Forum Discussion

H_Sharma
Level 6
10 years ago

Catalog Partial Successfull.

Hello Experts,

Our catalog backup is getting partial successfull. It has 3 schedules in a day full and 2 differenential in a day.

Last incremental has the parital backup. however before that full and differntial got successfull.

WRN - can't open file: J:\NetBackup\db\discovery\3 hdscci01p oracle.xml (WIN32 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. )

Pls help to troubleshoot.

• I believe the answer is that you can disable nbdisco on any master/media/client upon which you will not be using OIP.

9 Replies

• i would say.. trigger another backup job and check the status.. if that failed.. post the entire failed job detail status in this discusssion.. 

• Hi Refired again but it got successfull sometime this error comes up with the differential backup.

• Are you using NetBackup OIP (Oracle Intelligent Policies) anywhere within your environment?

If not, then why not simply cease the 'nbdisco' process - which, guessing by the file name of the locked file, may have something to do with it.  Also, there's probably no need to have 'nbdisco' dancing around on a master server.

See Nicolai's post here, re how to silence the 'nbdisco' process:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/timeout-30000-milliseconds-was-reached-while-waiting-transaction-response-netbackup-discovery

• Have another look at sdo's post: You don't need nbdisco on the master server because Oracle is not running on the master.
  • Ok got it....

But in that case if we disable it what i understood is netbackup master wont be doing pollling (Clients instance auto discovery wont happen) and we have to manually create instance in netbackup oracle intelligent policies right?

• I believe the answer is that you can disable nbdisco on any master/media/client upon which you will not be using OIP.

• Correction:

I believe that you can disable nbdisco on any 'client' (which does not require OIP) - AND - which does not require 'discovery' for any other reason...

What I have not (yet) been able to confirm is whether the 'nbdisco' service is used by VMware Intelligent Policy discovery.  So... I'm thinking that I may have been wrong in saying that nbdisco can be silenced on masters and/or VMware backup hosts.  Can anyone else confirm?  Pls.  Thx.

• Hi!  I was on vacation!  Sorry about that!

REPORT_CLIENT_DISCOVERIES option for NetBackup clients
     http://symantec.com/docs/HOWTO106494

I think we wrote up this configuration setting as "Intelligent Policies...(such as Oracle)" instead of "Oracle Intelligent Policies" precisely because VMware is another example of the kind of Intelligent Policy that nbdisco can help build.  But you're right...it doesn't look like this is documented anywhere.  (I found a reference in some case notes.)

If you want to be totally 100% sure you might be able to find something if you turn up the nbdisco logs (OID 400).  I don't think ANYBODY has that kind of free time, though.  ;-)