Forum Discussion

nick80
Level 4
11 years ago

Catalog backup size not reduced after catalog compression

Hi,

Our catalog backup is about 98GB in size and runs for about 3 hours. We are looking at ways of speeding this up and have gone down the compression route. (Netbackup 6.5.0.6 - Windows 2003 R2 Master)

I have appled catalog compression using the recommended "staggered approach" and we have now compressed all images older than 32 days and we have seen the db/images folder reduce in terms of the size on disk from 92GB to 56GB. The problem is that the Catalog backup itself is stil at 98GB and has actually gone up in duration to 3 and half hours. (I know the increase could be dependant on how busy the environment is but sure we should at leaset have seen the backup reduce in size since the compression)

I know its not a complicated process but just want to make sure I havent missed something :

>> Ensure catalog backup isnt running

>> Set catalog compress interval

>> run bpimage -cleanup -allclients

>> Check the db/images folder on completetion and can see a reduction of size on disk and image files in blue to indicate compression.

I cant understand why the catalog backup is still 98GB. Maybe I need to restart Netbackup ? I dont want to suggest this unless I am pretty confident it will resolve the problem as we have to force a window and puts us a behind a little with Vaulting.

Has anyone had something similar and can you advise?

Thanks

Nick

• This is something you may need to test more as it depends on how things work with the catalog compression.

I have dug through my old notes for a customer i dealt with a few years ago who used compressed files on their systems (windows compression)

During the tests we backed up a folder containing their compressed files - it backed up 5 GB of data in 33 minutes

We then uncompressed the files and ran the backup again - this time it backed up exactly the same amount of data but it only took 11 minutes - so three times as fast.

This suggested that that type of compression caused the files backed up to be uncompressed in the backup stream causing a overhead on the backup and really slowing it down - and still reporting the full backup size

As those folders showed up a blue in Windows explorer the same as the catalog files do that you have then i assume it uses the same type of compression method and from that i assume it will do the same during the backup

I do not see that documented anywhere but i do have my test results to work from

Hope this helps

15 Replies