Forum Discussion

Level 3
8 years ago

Exchange 2016 with IP less DAG, using Netbackup 7.7.3.

I am setting up a policy to back up Exchange 2016 with IP less DAG, using Netbackup 7.7.3.

According to this article, NBU 7.7.3 has some new features regarding this, but I can not find any info on it:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH223843

What is the best way to back up Exchange 2016 with IP less DAG, using the latest (7.7.3) version of NBU?

12 Replies

• It should just work. Just name your DAG as the client, and let NetBackup figure it out.

Every mailbox server keeps a Registry entry telling the DAG to which it belongs, if any. The NetBackup Discovery Framework service (a.k.a., nbdisco) that has already been running on NetBackup clients since 7.5, has been enhanced in 7.7.3 to read the Registry DAG value and push it to the NetBackup master server. I think this happens every four hours.

As a result, the NetBackup master server now has a list of all the mailbox servers in your DAG. As the previous answer suggested, the master server simply selects a mailbox server from the list on which to run bpresolver. Bpresolver continues to function as before, either to make a worklist of databases and servers on which to back them up, or to select a server for restoring a database or mailbox contents.

• Hi,

In the note it says to "assign" the DAG name to any node of the DAG via the use of hosts file. So if this is not required in 7.7.3 I would assume that you can just use any DAG node as the client in the policy.

Haven't configured the IP-less scenario myself but i think it would work like a Sharepoint backup, where you just use any frontend server as the entry point (client) in the policy. When bpresolver runs on that client it figures out the topography of the application and generates the streams accordingly.

If you've got an error or have actually tried to proceed with the configuration, post that info please.

BackupBunny
      Level 3

I've tried this with Netbackup 8.0 with no success. In the maser server properties for Distributed Application Restore Mapping I have the DAG name (IP less) listed as the application host and an entry for each mailbox listed as the Component Host. I have tried setting the client of the Exchange policy to the DAG name from above, with an error client hostname could not be found. I also tried listing one of the mailbox clients as the client for the policy and also got a failure that it was trying to back up a standalone server rather than a DAG.

In the admin guide it mentions the Virtual Exchange Name a bit but it is unclear as to what that is in an IP-less DAG situation with not Adminstrative Access Point Set.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Lowell_Palecek
        Level 6

Client hostname cannot be found in this context can mean that the master server cannot resolve the DAG name to a representative Exchange server. This probably means the Exchange DAG discovery I mentioned is not working.

Things to check:

- bprd log around the error should tell you about the failure to find a node for the DAG.

- Files with Exchange in their name on the master server at NetBackup/db/discovery. There should be an exchange.xml file and .dat file for each node of the DAG. If not, check the NetBackup Discovery Framework service on each client. The logs are in the nbdisco folder. Find all occurrences of ExchangeExplorer. If you don't find where ExchangeExplorer finds the DAG name and sends it to the master, look for a reason why it doesn't.

- Note that nbdisco should run as the NetBackup Exchange user called for in the doc. The best way to do this is to configure it in the host properties of each client.

- After setting the Exchange user in the host properties for each Exchange server, restart the NetBackup Discovery Framework service on each machine. After a few minutes, the exchange.xml and exchange.dat files should appear on the master server. The master chooses the most recent (last) client to send its discovery data to represent the DAG.

- If you do find the .xml and .dat files for at least one Exchange server in the DAG, please share them here.

- As Marianne suggested, can you ping every Exchange server from the NetBackup master?

(In this context, the "virtual name" is the DAG name.)