Forum Discussion

Mike_3G
Level 3
13 years ago

Full Catalog Backup

NBU 7.0.1 running on RHEL4, and planning to upgrade hardware, OS, and NBU. I want to make sure I'm getting a good Full Catalog Backup before going ahead. I didn't do the original installation, and I don't have a lot of history to fall back on.

I'm looking at our Catalog Hot Backup policy (policy type = NBU-Catalog). On the Disaster Recovery tab, the Path: is set to /usr/openv/netbackup/disaster_recovery. This seems to contradict the NBU 7.0.1 Administrator's Guide  - pg.640 says not to save the info to a local disk and pg. 642 says specifically:

The path for the disaster recovery information cannot be to a directory that is on
the same partition as /usr/openv/netbackup. If the path is to a location on the
same partition as /usr/openv/netbackup, NetBackup displays a status 20 error
message. The message states that the disk path is invalid. Change the path on the
Disaster Recovery tab to a directory on a different partition.
The email notification that gets sent out says:
Backup on client x-bkup-01 for user root by server x-bkup-01 succeeded.

Policy = Catalog_Hot_Backup

Schedule = Full

File list

---------

CATALOG_DRIVEN_BACKUP

So, am I really getting successful Catalog Backups? Thanks, Mike
  • Hold on there boys.... I should have been clearer in my first post. Too many things going on.. my apologies.. Anyway It will surely back up fine as it only gives you a stern warning when setting up the DR path on the root disk.. Go ahead and try to run bprecover against it. It WILL fail.. Try manually moving the file you need off the root disk and changing the DR path to the new location and try running bprecover again... And from here on out be sure your DR path is to an external storage device.

7 Replies

• I don't believe you are getting backups of the catalog. Just to be sure I tested it here on a RHEL 6 server. No matter what path I used, if it was on the root drive at all I got the error 20 ... Set the backup to write to an external device using the mount point you choose...

• Mike,

If it completes with a status 0 (successful) then yes it's successful.

I agree though, the DR file should be saved to a different partition or disk, if it gets corrupted, you lose your NetBackup installation directory AND the DR file, making it more difficult to recover quickly.

• your /usr/openv/netbackup/disaster_recovery could actually be a symbolic link to another path.

Run: ls -ld /usr/openv/netbackup/disaster_recovery does it show as a link? Have you checked the status of your catalog backups? Do they complete with a status 0 or a status 20 (or some other status code?)?

• Thx for the replies. @revaroo - the path is not a link. The Catalog Backup completes with status (0) and files exist in the target directory, for example:

-rw-------   1 root root     1719 Apr 22 14:34 Catalog_Hot_Backup_1335117966_FULL
    -rw-------   1 root root     1719 Apr 23 02:35 Catalog_Hot_Backup_1335161154_FULL
    -rw-------   1 root root     1719 Apr 23 14:56 Catalog_Hot_Backup_1335205679_FULL

But before I turn off the server for the hardware replacement phase, I just want to feel like I can restore the catalog! Better safe than sorry as they say  :)

Mike
  • Mike,

If there was no error then it should be fine. Worst case scenario, leave the old server in place incase you have to restart it and re-run another catalog backup to an alternate location, but a status 0 means it was successful, so you should be good to go.

As mentioned, ensure you have a backout plan (leaving server in place to restart is a good idea until your new server is up and running).

• Hold on there boys.... I should have been clearer in my first post. Too many things going on.. my apologies.. Anyway It will surely back up fine as it only gives you a stern warning when setting up the DR path on the root disk.. Go ahead and try to run bprecover against it. It WILL fail.. Try manually moving the file you need off the root disk and changing the DR path to the new location and try running bprecover again... And from here on out be sure your DR path is to an external storage device.

• Hey Guys,

If it is a problem - just remove the Path and use only email to get the DR file. You mentioned that you are receiving the DR file. Try to use the wizard and point the wizard to the DR file you are gettting in your email. 

On the other hand - you mentioned also the hardware refresh for you Master Server. If your catalog is not really huge, do the following:

1. Build a new master server

2. Allocated exactly the same hostname + domain name (if FQDN is used)

3. Install the same version of NBU on a new server with all the patches which were applied on the old one. 

4. Stop all the NBU daemons on a new and old Master Servers

5. Use FTP or SCP to transfer the catalog and EMM databases to a new server

6. Start daemons on a new server and verify whether all is working

7. Upgrade NBU to the higher version if required

In this scenario you can always revert back to the old Master Server..... 

One more thing - NBU cache on clients and Media Servers - use bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache... and it should work.

Hope it helps.

S