Forum Discussion

13 years ago

inventory.

when i run inventory,i see

moving media from standalone to slot 12------> i can understand this(from cap to robot slot).

But then it also says moving media from slot 11 to stanalone.

What does that mean basically?

• We cannot tell if these are vault tapes - you have to tell us.  If Vault is set up correctlty, then I would say no, but tat is an 'educated' guess.

From your previous comment, yes, I would say someone manually removed them, and when you ran the inventory this is updating NBU with the fact that as they are not found in the library, it is moving them t 'standalone'.

Martin

9 Replies

• "moved to stanalone" means the tape is not longer in the robot. Tape has been been ejected. 

• i have not removed them manually.When i run inventory ,why these tapes are coming out of robot?

Generating list of recommended changes ...

Proposed Change(s) to Update the Volume Configuration

=====================================================

Logically move media ID 221 (barcode 21L3) from slot 1 to standalone residence.

Logically move media ID 179 (barcode 179L3) from slot 2 to standalone residence.

• from standalone to slot-------this thing i understand.

but from slot to standalone-----??What are these tapes?why they ejected out?

• Someone has manually removed the tape. It is no longer on the library, or there is a fault and the library cannot detect it possibly. Only way to tell, is to go and manually look in the library, or run robtest and use s s to see what tapes are in the slots. Run robtest in volmgr\bin dir, select the robot number then run the command s s This will make the library show us what is in the slots, are your tapes there. If they are not shown, you need to physically check the library, if they are there, then we see the library is not showing them in robtest, this will be an issue with the library, not netbackup. Martin

• The NBU info is 'logical'. When you perform an inventory, NBU sends a request to the robot to report on 'physical' status. NBU then simply updates itself with information received from the robot.

• Lets make this simple :

Run robtest, this is in <install>\veritas\volmgr\bin (windows ) or /usr/openv/volmgr/bin (unix)

Select the robot number

Enter the command ' s s ' and press enter

Look down the output, what is in slot 11 ?

I suspect, that you will see no barcode in slot 11 (+ it will probably say contains cartridge no)

If this is the case, you need to physically look in the library - if there is no tape in slot 11, then that will be the reason.

If there is a tape in slot 11, then there is either a problem with the library (as it is not reporting the tape to netbackup), or, the barcode on the tape is of poor quality and it cannot be read by the library.

As Marianne explained, NetBackup has no control over what is displayed in robtest.  The details you see in robtest are SENT FROM the library, if they are incorrect (eg, a tape is not shown when you have confirmed it really is in the library) then this is a problem with the library (or barcode on tape)  and you must contact your hardware support to troubleshhot this further.

Martin

• but from slot to standalone-----??What are these tapes?why they ejected out?

So it means somebody has manually removed the tapes earlier.so its showing the physical status of library.right?

• We cannot tell if these are vault tapes - you have to tell us.  If Vault is set up correctlty, then I would say no, but tat is an 'educated' guess.

From your previous comment, yes, I would say someone manually removed them, and when you ran the inventory this is updating NBU with the fact that as they are not found in the library, it is moving them t 'standalone'.

Martin