Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Jobs Failed and sucess : need to retry

Hi,

I am very beginner on Veritas and I think my question would seems stupid.

I have a Netbackup 7.0.1 running on Windows Server 2008.

I have a job (with a differential schedule set up) which failed but one day later it succedded with a full schedule.

Same result but a job failed (with a full scheduled set up) but one day later it succedded with a diff schedule.

Of course, I checked the schedule on the Policies, but my question is :

Do I need to rerun the failed job even if the diff or the full gets an 0 or 1 status code ?

Thank for your help.

Lala.

• If the FULL job failed, I would prefer a rerun before the Diff job.

The Full normally has a longer retention period and forms the basis for Diff backup.
    A Diff backup will backup all changed files since the last backup. Not good if you don't have a Full as basis.

Best to troubleshoot the reason for failures and try to fix external factors causing failures.

4 Replies

• in general does not need to re-run since you have the successfull backup after the failed one..

if you find the failed job with no successfull jobs after that.. you may need to think about re-run, also needs to consider the time of re-run.. since some servers does not handle the load of backup at time of Production hours...

• Do I need to rerun the failed job even if the diff or the full gets an 0 or 1 status code ??

Status 0 - Successful Backup

Status 1- Partial Success

If your OS backup is completing with status 1 most probably it wld be becuase of open files(can ignore). If DB backups are completing with 1 or more than1 can be considered as failed backups. so here success/failure will depends on the type of the backup.

Same result but a job failed (with a full scheduled set up) but one day later it succedded with a diff schedule??

If backup is successful, whether to rerun or not will depends on your account/client requirement.

Generally full backups will have longer retention period than incremental backup. so if u dnt rerun the failed full backups u may nt restore the files once the diff retention elapse. as i said earlier it will depends on ur client reqt n polcies-procedures to rerun the job.

As  Nagalla suggested, verify the possibilty of running failed jobs in prod hrs for ur acct and proceed futher. All the best.

• Hi,

0 = Successfull, No Need to rerun the job

1 = Partial Success, this is tricky you may want to verify your job logs on what is missed, if this is windows client and if your system state\shadow copy components is missed then i would suggest you rerun the backup and get it complete with status 0, as backup without system state would not a good backup since you cannot restore your system back to original state, you can run the backups in mutliple streams to verify id system state is causing status code 1.  if status code is 1 because of open files/locked files then you can ignore this error but it is always advisible to have backup with status code 0.

Coming to Backup failure, please post more on details on what status code is the backup failing with this will help to anlayse your problem better.

Regards,

Venki

• If the FULL job failed, I would prefer a rerun before the Diff job.

The Full normally has a longer retention period and forms the basis for Diff backup.
    A Diff backup will backup all changed files since the last backup. Not good if you don't have a Full as basis.

Best to troubleshoot the reason for failures and try to fix external factors causing failures.