Forum Discussion

tarmizi
Level 5
8 years ago

Logical library to Netbackup Appliance

Hi all,

Our customer have installed a new tape library (IBM TS3310) with 10 tape drives, configured and controlled by the Netbackup Appliance (Media server). But next, they are going to share the library with IBM AS400 machine. I am aware of the logical library that can be create at the physical library which is have to done by IBM guy.

But what to be done on the Netbackup side before they create the logical library? I am doing some task list here, please give me some advice:

Before create logical library

1. disable all duplication job that pointing to the new physical library

After create logical library

1.reconfigure the tape library as usual

Is there anything left?

Thank you

• So, when the library gets partitioned, the tape drives and media slots will have to be split.
    And probably the Media Access Ports as well so that each logical library will eject and inject using its own MAP slots.

So, it is important to know which slots will be assigned to each partition to ensure that all NetBackup tapes are only in the NetBackup partition. 
    Any NetBackup tapes in the AS400 partition run the risk of being overwritten.

So, probably a good idea to remove all NBU tapes from the robot and then add via the NBU MAP after the partioning.

So, I would list the steps as follows: 

1. Suspend Duplications/SLPs.
    2. Remove NBU tapes from robot

After partitioning:

1. Add NBU tapes to NBU partition
    2. Delete and re-add devices (robot and tape drives) to NBU
    3. Confirm STU properties
    4. Inventory robot
    5. Reactivate duplications/SLPs

Hopefully other users will add their 2c!

5 Replies

• So, when the library gets partitioned, the tape drives and media slots will have to be split.
    And probably the Media Access Ports as well so that each logical library will eject and inject using its own MAP slots.

So, it is important to know which slots will be assigned to each partition to ensure that all NetBackup tapes are only in the NetBackup partition. 
    Any NetBackup tapes in the AS400 partition run the risk of being overwritten.

So, probably a good idea to remove all NBU tapes from the robot and then add via the NBU MAP after the partioning.

So, I would list the steps as follows: 

1. Suspend Duplications/SLPs.
    2. Remove NBU tapes from robot

After partitioning:

1. Add NBU tapes to NBU partition
    2. Delete and re-add devices (robot and tape drives) to NBU
    3. Confirm STU properties
    4. Inventory robot
    5. Reactivate duplications/SLPs

Hopefully other users will add their 2c!

tunix2k
      Level 5
      There is no really need for a second 2c. Except prior to re-add devices in Netbackup you should clean and rebuild your OS-Driver instances on Media server. Somewhere (without access I cant describe the menu location) youll find options to reset FC-Adapter, clean , rescan and list for devices. A last resort is to reboot the appliance. Its like an library exchange where the new one is a little smaller. If its too hard to remove and import all tapes, some ideas: - As I remember the 3584 library it is very easy to see the slot ranges for each partition in management GUI - Talk to IBM - Start with netbackup library with tapes and AS/400 partition without tapes. Crosscheck with AS/400 stuff that there see an empty library. For tape drive names I like to have the number at the end reflecting the location of the tape in the physical library instead of counting NetBackup drives. In case of a failue it is very simple to identify the drive. ciao Martin
        Genericus

You may want to segregate the tape volser - so the barcodes do not intersect.

Even having unique initial letter can allow for easier work.

Many tapes have unique colors as well - I would suggest you make them as different as possible to prevent operator error...

tarmizi
      Level 5

Hi all,

Thank you for the reply and so sorry for not replying back.

We have followed Marianne given steps and everything is according to plan accept for one of the drives is now in standalone drive but that will be another issue. So I will put Marianne post as the solution. 

Thank you again