Forum Discussion

Sbadmin
Level 3
14 years ago

Migrating policies and catalog

I use netbackup 6.0 mp 7 on a single server 2003 std 32bit.  I have 60 policies. 
I  have a new 2003 r2 std 64bit server that i want to use for the backups now. 
Whats the best way to migrate polices so i can restore and such if needed?  I don't mind recreating policies from scratch if need be. 
I just don't know too much about catalogs and such. I want to retain my old backups of course. Most are
on a 2 week retention time.  

SUN library with 4 lto3 drives hooked up to FC switch.

So far i have the new server up and running with netbackup installed and connected to fiber switch and seeing the library and drives. Ive done a few test backups so everythings seems to be working fine. Now the migration part. Any help would be great. 

Thank you.   

Shane
  • You should to backup NB catalog in existing environment, then install NB on new machine with the same DNS name, setup devices and restore NB catalog from backup.

5 Replies

• You should to backup NB catalog in existing environment, then install NB on new machine with the same DNS name, setup devices and restore NB catalog from backup.
  • Thank you Marek. If i decide to change the server name does that make it a much harder process? 
  • It's not supported and probably very difficult. Master Server should have the same host name.
  • Best to upgrade to 6.5.4 first, then use the procedure described in this TechNote:
    http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/337969.htm
    Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers as part of a hardware refresh