Forum Discussion

Jecintha
Level 4
13 years ago

Netbackup Catalog Backup

Hi All,

I would like to know what a catalog backup is all about.  I've read that a catalog backup is usually configured after every backup session.  When a catalog backup runs, what is it that gets backed up.  The tapes used for the catalog backups are sent to an offsite location on a daily basis. 

Any help with regards to understanding the concept of a catalog backup will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jecintha

• The Catalog backs up the NBU config and the data relating to where the backups are stored.

From the Admin guide (page 741)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3650

About NetBackup catalogs
    NetBackup catalogs are the internal databases that contain information about
    NetBackup backups and configuration. Backup information includes records of
    the files that have been backed up and the media on which the files are stored.
    The catalogs also contain information about the media and the storage devices.
    Since NetBackup needs the catalog information so that it can restore client
    backups, configure a catalog backup before using NetBackup for regular client
    backups. Schedule the catalog backups to occur on a regular basis. Without regular
    catalog backups, you risk losing regular backups if there is a problem with the
    disk that contains the catalogs.

The catalog consists of the following parts:
    ■ The image database.
    The image database contains information about the data that has been backed
    up. It is the largest part of the catalog.
    See “About the NetBackup image database” on page 743.
    ■ NetBackup data that is stored in relational database files.
    The data includes media and volume data describing media usage and volume
    information, which is used during the backups.
    See “About the NetBackup relational database” on page 745.
    ■ NetBackup configuration files.
    The configuration files (databases.conf and server.conf) are flat files that
    contain instructions for the SQL Anywhere daemon.
    See “About the NetBackup server.conf file” on page 774.
    See “About the databases.conf file” on page 775

Very important.

In the policy for the catalog, you configure a location to store te 'DR' file / email the DR file.  This is important as it is needed for recovery if you have to run a catalog restore.  The file just contains the information NBU needs to run a catalog restore, which tape, location of data on tape etc ...

In reality a catalog backup is nothing special, is is just a regular backup, but, it is the most important backup in your environment.

The troubleshooting guide contains information on how to perform a Catalog restore.

Martin

8 Replies

• "I would like to know what a catalog backup is all about"................  Certified ???

• Plese refer the below link for information on catalog backup

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH20009  

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH42555  

• The Catalog backs up the NBU config and the data relating to where the backups are stored.

From the Admin guide (page 741)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3650

About NetBackup catalogs
    NetBackup catalogs are the internal databases that contain information about
    NetBackup backups and configuration. Backup information includes records of
    the files that have been backed up and the media on which the files are stored.
    The catalogs also contain information about the media and the storage devices.
    Since NetBackup needs the catalog information so that it can restore client
    backups, configure a catalog backup before using NetBackup for regular client
    backups. Schedule the catalog backups to occur on a regular basis. Without regular
    catalog backups, you risk losing regular backups if there is a problem with the
    disk that contains the catalogs.

The catalog consists of the following parts:
    ■ The image database.
    The image database contains information about the data that has been backed
    up. It is the largest part of the catalog.
    See “About the NetBackup image database” on page 743.
    ■ NetBackup data that is stored in relational database files.
    The data includes media and volume data describing media usage and volume
    information, which is used during the backups.
    See “About the NetBackup relational database” on page 745.
    ■ NetBackup configuration files.
    The configuration files (databases.conf and server.conf) are flat files that
    contain instructions for the SQL Anywhere daemon.
    See “About the NetBackup server.conf file” on page 774.
    See “About the databases.conf file” on page 775

Very important.

In the policy for the catalog, you configure a location to store te 'DR' file / email the DR file.  This is important as it is needed for recovery if you have to run a catalog restore.  The file just contains the information NBU needs to run a catalog restore, which tape, location of data on tape etc ...

In reality a catalog backup is nothing special, is is just a regular backup, but, it is the most important backup in your environment.

The troubleshooting guide contains information on how to perform a Catalog restore.

Martin

• Hi Jecintha

Let's take an example u have backed up some data on tape. When a backup is executing it generates the catalog files. Genrally these catalog files contain information about where is the data backedup, what is backuped. so when u perform the restore opeartion all the software does is reffer's these catalog files and check if the nedia where data was stored is it available.

These catalog files are very necessary for restoring

• I noticed that ...

I am getting fed up of this, in fact a number of us are ...

I have  been keeping a note of ANYONE who is listed as having a NBU Certification who keeps posting questions that clearly show that thay do NOT have the required knowledge to pass the exam.

I will be passing this onto the relevant people within Symantec and each person listed WILL be investigated.

• Unbelievable!!!

If you look in my profile, you will notice that I have passed the same exam.

It was NOT easy. Certainly need to know your 'stuff'...........

• I am quite surprised by this forum thread.

Especially since this post was marked as Solved a couple of weeks ago:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/recreating-master-server