Forum Discussion

14 years ago

Netbackup with SL500

Hello,

We recently upgraded our SL500 tape library from 30 to 50 slots. I have not been able to get the 20 new slots to show up in Netbackup 6.5 using any of the wizards or other options i've seen. I checked the documentation but didn't find much about adding slots with existing hardware.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• You can fill new slots with tapes and do "Inventory Robot". If slots are properly licensed you will see new tapes.

If you want to see how many slots are licensed, you can't do it with NetBackup, you must use SLConsole.

5 Replies

• NBU will only report on the slots that the robot does.

Use robtest  's s' to report on all slots. This is a direct request to the robot.

If it still reports only 30 slots, call the hardware engineer back who installed the extra slots.

Not sure about the SL500, but the older L700 had a 'stopper' on the robot floor that had to be removed to allow the robot to inventory the additional slots. If this robot works the same, the engineer probably forgot to remove this 'stopper' when he installed the additional slots.

Is there a glass window on the robot? If you IPL the robot, you should be able to see if the new slots are inventoried upon startup.

• You can fill new slots with tapes and do "Inventory Robot". If slots are properly licensed you will see new tapes.

If you want to see how many slots are licensed, you can't do it with NetBackup, you must use SLConsole.

• Thank you Marianne, David, and Lopez for your help. robtest 's s' displayed the new slots and adding tapes got them to show up!

• To see available slots in library ...

vmcheckxxx .... 

This command will list all the slots netbackup has access to and tell you whether or not there is a tape in the slot.  I use this command in a script to tell me how many slots I have free so I know how many scratch tapes I can put in.