Forum Discussion

Stanleyj
Level 6
13 years ago

Policy priority

Some of my jobs like sql have individual policies setup for daily, weekly, and monthly backups. 

Is there a way to assign a priority to the these jobs so that if a monthly job kicks off on the last day of the month the daily or weekly will not try and run also?

i see where you can exlude days in the policies but i will have to be updated every year.

• Stanley

Setting the priority will not make one policy run and the other not run (which I think is what you are after)

I would suggest using calandar scheduling as follows (hope this gives you what you need):

Daily Policy - Calendar based - two options here depending on how long they take to run:

a) Window of 6pm to 11.50pm - Recurring Weekdays - Every Monday to Friday selected

b) Window of 00:10 to 6am - Recurring Weekdays - Every Tuesday to Saturday selected

Weekly Policy - Calendar Based - Recurring Weekdays - 2nd, 3rd, 4th and last Sunday selected - window anytime during Sunday

Monthly policy - Calendar based - recurrung Weekdays - 1st Sunday selected - window anytime during Sunday

I hope you see what I am getting at - monthly backups have to happen on the 1st day (which ever day you choose)

The others you can play with a bit but using the above method you will not have any of the policies run on the same day and  will not have to set any exclusions

Hope this helps

13 Replies