Forum Discussion

DPO
Level 6
12 years ago

Qunatum robot and IBM drives were not auto discovered

Our environment : NetBackup Master/Media version : 7.1.0.4 Tape library : Quantum i6k with IBM LTO5 Tape drives OS : Windows 2008 R2 Standard edition with MPIO enabled   Robot and device dr...
    12 years ago

My guess is problematic HBA.
    I have see devices disappearing long ago with Emulex HBA's. O-L-D TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH33767

Have you checked Event Viewer for errors?

Manufacturer tape driver should be used. As per my previous post, see HCL for IBM tape driver requirements.

p. 142:

5. For 32-bit Windows systems, Symantec tests and recommends the use of the Symantec tape drivers with tape drives released prior to 2007. For newer drives, use the manufacturer's 32-bit tape driver. The latest release of the Symantec Tape Device Driver Installer can be downloaded from the Symantec support site. Symantec does not extensively test with the manufacturers' 32-bit tape drivers, however, they are supported, and Symantec will work with customers and vendors in an attempt to resolve any issues. Symantec and most hardware vendors listed are members of TSANet.

6. For 64-bit Windows systems, the manufacturer's most recent tape driver should be used. The Symantec tape drivers are not compatible with 64-bit Windows systems.

p. 159:
    IBM Tape Driver Support
    The latest version of the IBM tape device driver package that has been tested with NetBackup is listed below. Using the version listed here is recommended, but older versions of the tape drivers are also supported and may work well. There is no need to upgrade the tape driver if the configuration is working properly. Upgrading to the version listed here may be necessary if implementing the latest model tape drives or if problems are encountered that have been addressed by the driver provider.
    If using the IBM Windows Tape Device Drivers be sure to choose the install_nonexclusive.exe executable. This option permits a tape drive to be accessed by multiple processes on a Media Server, which is a requirement for NetBackup.
    NetBackup requires the IBM Data Path Failover feature to be disabled on the IBM tape device driver. To disable this feature, open the reg folder of the IBM driver package, double-click DisableDPF.reg, and reboot the system.
    - IBMTape driver level 6.2.1.7 tested on Windows