Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Restore catalog NBU 7.1

Hi,

I´m having problem to restore catalog backup of my NBU.

I´m installing a new server with windows 2008 x64, my old server was windows 2003. I created a new blank database in new server and after proceed with restore my catalog backup from administration console, it is running during two hours and the last line on screen is "starting databases..".

I was looking for log of EMM database on C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\logs\nbemm and this file is show me many messages with failed to connect to database... 

Can anybody help me?

The log file of nbemm is attached.

Thanks.

• Just make sure when you install NetBackup and it shows its netbackup name that you remove the FQDN part from the end - that is all that matters really (unless the server name itself was different but i dont see how that can be the case)

20 Replies

• Unfortunately as far as netbackup is concerned scsnb2 and scsnb2.unileaf.com.br are two different names and that is why it is unable to start the database as it cannot connect to scsnb2 - the tables / configuration files are all wrong.

You will have to start again

Uninstall NetBackup completely and make sure the registry is clean (HKLM\Software\Veritas\NetBackup)

and make sure C:\Program Files\Veritas has gone.

Next re-install NBU using the same name so just scsnb2 and patch to the same level as the original

The catalog should then restore - needs too much work to put the current installation right I am afraid

Let us know how you get on

• Ok Mark, you are right, I will make new server with name scsnb2 and try to restore again, I´ll post here any result, ok.

Thank you very much.

Hugs.

• Just make sure when you install NetBackup and it shows its netbackup name that you remove the FQDN part from the end - that is all that matters really (unless the server name itself was different but i dont see how that can be the case)

• Mark is 100% right. 
    I had another look at unformatted version of Emm log. Enough helpful info to show that NBU is currently installed as scsnb2.unileaf.com.br but needs to find scsnb2.
    scsnb2.unileaf.com.br != scsnb2, so, EMM cannot startup.

Since we see that LocalHost = <scsnb2.unileaf.com.br>, please add local hosts entry for the server itself before you re-install NBU as shortname:

<IP address> scsnb2 scsnb2.unileaf.com.br

• Have you re-installed? There is a lots of internal netbackup naming at play here, not just name resolution

• No Mark, I just add entry in hosts file and tried to restore again, as told Mariane.

• What Marianne was trying to say:

Add the alias in hosts file before you re-install.

My reason for this recommendation is because the EMM log showed local hostname as FQDN.
    So, shortname needs to be vaild at OS level (hosts file) as well as NBU installation.

• Ok Marianne, thanks for explanation, I didn´t understood.

I´ll do that procedure with new server, and post here result.

Thanks again.

• Hello Mark and Marianne. thank you very much for your help.

I follow your instructions as below:

- Unisntall NBU;

- Removed any program and folder with Netbackup or Veritas word from program files;

- Deleted any reference to netbackup and veritas from registry;

- Add line "ip_address and server_name" (old server name - scsnb2), on hosts file;

- Restarted server and installed NBU with the same version/patches of the old server;

- Made restore of catalog and everithing was running ok.

Thank you again.

Hugs.