Forum Discussion

andrich
Level 4
12 years ago

Robot failure

Hello everybody

One of my robots has failed and now I want to move the LTO tapes to another robot.

When I try to run a Inventory or a Eject in the broken robot, I got the message:

Unable to sense robotic device (202).

If I remove the LTO´s manually from the broken robot and then put this tapes into the other Robot, I got the message:

Insert media failed. media ID is not unique in the database.

The questios is: How can I change the tapes from the broken robot to another one?

Thanks.

Alexandre Andrich

• Because your are getting duplicate media it seems you already have the correct barcode rules in place. 

The issue is that NetBackup already knows about you media and in which library/robot it is; this is why you are getting the duplicate media error.

You need to move the affected tapes to "standalone" from within Netbackup; using the Java gui find the Volume Group they are in (typically TLD someing); right click on the volume group and "move"; this produces a box with "standalone" ticked. Ok that and all the tapes are move to "--" group; then you can inventory your new robot with your old tapes in it as you did before and they'll be moved to existing or new volumes group based on the new robot number; TLD and HCART type.

I would use "preview changes" the first time around to check it's doing the right thing.

3 Replies

• You need to set the new robot to display the same characters in the barcode as. the old robot. if you look in the gui you will see your media, and you will see the barcode for each media , take note of which charters are displayed in the gui, compared to what the actual pyhsical label shows. next put this tape in the new library, run robtest and run the command s s Look for the tape and you will see the barcode contains either more or less characters than the barcode displayed for the tape in the gui. You need to change the library setting to display the same characters, so it matches the barcode format in the gui. Next, ensure the media id generation rule and barcode rules are set the same as the old library. It should then work correctly. Martin

• Because your are getting duplicate media it seems you already have the correct barcode rules in place. 

The issue is that NetBackup already knows about you media and in which library/robot it is; this is why you are getting the duplicate media error.

You need to move the affected tapes to "standalone" from within Netbackup; using the Java gui find the Volume Group they are in (typically TLD someing); right click on the volume group and "move"; this produces a box with "standalone" ticked. Ok that and all the tapes are move to "--" group; then you can inventory your new robot with your old tapes in it as you did before and they'll be moved to existing or new volumes group based on the new robot number; TLD and HCART type.

I would use "preview changes" the first time around to check it's doing the right thing.

• 'thesanman' makes a good point, yes, this would probably be the most likely cause in this case.

If when you move the tapes to standalone and reinventory it still has the same problem, then check my solution, it is still valid IF you have made the tapes standalone first.

For example, old library displays barcodes as AA1234L4

You have no midia id rules set (default uses first six characters - so media id is AA1234.

Now you put the tape in the replacement library, this is configured to show only the first 6 characters of the barcode, so the tape appears with a barcode of 

AA1234 (the library 'hides' the last two characters.

To NBU, this appears as a new tape, so it trys to add it.

However, the media id will remain the same, the first 6 characters ...

So, it trys to add a 'new' tape with barcode AA1234 and media id AA1234 but throws the errors as it already knows about a tape with barcode AA1234L4 which has the same mediaid.  Hence the duplicate media id error.

Martin