Forum Discussion

Dollypee
12 years ago

Setting up Netbackup lab

Hi every one, any one who has been able to set up netbackup lab ? probably using vmware.. I would like to know how, requirement and how it was set up...

Thank you

Anonymous
    12 years ago

You can really play about with NetBackup in vmware right through to tapes - virtual tapes!! (real tape hardware not supported)

Caveat - this lab uses a Linux OS and Netbackup media for your OS and this virtual tape library driver.

https://sites.google.com/site/linuxvtl2/

Written by a Symantec engineer (I believe), and I even think some Netbackup training is done using this.

Using a setup like this you can get an idea for managing media, or just use disk based storage --- its all disk anyhow at the end of the day in this setup using virtual machines.

I have used this setup of a virtual master to also test my DR - that I can restore my Netbackup catalog. And also test NetBackup upgrades.

6 Replies

• HI,

I want to learn Netbackup,

I have one laptop and is it possible to setup Netbackup in my laptop

If it is possible  plz let me know 

Regards

Audi

sdo

Hi Audi - before doing anything else, you will need a license.  If your company/employer has spare traditional licenses then you could use those.  Or if you/they have spare capacity from a capacity based license then you could notionally use those instead.  If you don't have any of these then approach your nearest friendly NetBackup reseller and request a temporary evaluation license key, and they might (but might not) be able to generate one for you.  There is no point even attempting to install NetBackup without a license key, because it simply will not work without a valid license key.  Come back when you have a key (but never ever show anyone your keys - not even on this forum), and then some of us might be able to help you get installed.  HTH.

sdo

NetBackup Master Server cannot run on Windows 7/8/8.1/10.  You need RHEL or AIX or Solaris or Windows Server.  You will need 16GB of RAM just for the master server, sometimes it will run in less, sometimes it won't.  You will need a quad core dual threaded CPU (i.e. 4 cores x 2 threads = 8 threads) but sometimes you can get away with dual core CPU.  The CPU will need to be 2.8GHz per core at least, more is better.  You will need 20GB of disk just to install NetBackup Master Server and an admin console.

Anonymous

You can really play about with NetBackup in vmware right through to tapes - virtual tapes!! (real tape hardware not supported)

Caveat - this lab uses a Linux OS and Netbackup media for your OS and this virtual tape library driver.

https://sites.google.com/site/linuxvtl2/

Written by a Symantec engineer (I believe), and I even think some Netbackup training is done using this.

Using a setup like this you can get an idea for managing media, or just use disk based storage --- its all disk anyhow at the end of the day in this setup using virtual machines.

I have used this setup of a virtual master to also test my DR - that I can restore my Netbackup catalog. And also test NetBackup upgrades.

• Just add enough CPU, RAM, and disk to VMs. At lease 2 core, 2GB RAM, 64GB disk is needed.Depending your test plan, more CPU, RAM, disk space, and additional vmdk is needed.