Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Unable to take inventory in nbu

Hi

when i am trying to take inventory getting below given error

bash-3.2# vmupdate -rn 3 -rt TLD -empty_map -rh <XXXXXXXX>
auto empty media access port request rejected by tldcd, Cannot move from media access port to slot

Where i can check, not found any thing in "dmesg" 

• This sounds like an issue with the robot having problems accessing the slots rather than a NetBackup issue

Have you tried using robtest to move the tapes?

• On some libraries, usually the smaller ones, sometimes... one of the slots doubles up as the map port.  e.g. slot 24 can be a slot and can also be the MAP port or 'mail slot' port - at the same time!

So, you can have a library with 24 slots, all occupied, and everything is normal and fine.  But when you then try an 'empty_map' action... then... the library reports back to NetBackup that it was unable to empty the MAP - but we know that it didn't need to do that... but NetBackup cannot know any different because the library only reports back to NetBackup that 24 slots exist and that a MAP port exists - but the library does not inform NetBackup that the MAP port/mail-slot port is also the 24th slot.

So, because the tape library vendor has tried to be efficient and clever with their design - this can leave us scratching our heads - until we read the product manual - which tells us what is going on.

HTH.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • This sounds like an issue with the robot having problems accessing the slots rather than a NetBackup issue

Have you tried using robtest to move the tapes?

• All library slots already full? 

If you just want to inventory and not inject media, try without the ' -empty_map '

• On some libraries, usually the smaller ones, sometimes... one of the slots doubles up as the map port.  e.g. slot 24 can be a slot and can also be the MAP port or 'mail slot' port - at the same time!

So, you can have a library with 24 slots, all occupied, and everything is normal and fine.  But when you then try an 'empty_map' action... then... the library reports back to NetBackup that it was unable to empty the MAP - but we know that it didn't need to do that... but NetBackup cannot know any different because the library only reports back to NetBackup that 24 slots exist and that a MAP port exists - but the library does not inform NetBackup that the MAP port/mail-slot port is also the 24th slot.

So, because the tape library vendor has tried to be efficient and clever with their design - this can leave us scratching our heads - until we read the product manual - which tells us what is going on.

HTH.

• Use robtest to see what the library sees. In robtest, run these commands : mode s p s s Show us output, please.
  • Thank for support as of now the issue was resolved

And the same issue i have facing after some times....

1. I can able to move medias by "tldtest" command  ( NBU Version: NetBackup-Solaris10 7.5.0.6 )

2. I have checked and Library is having free solts (TS3500 series IBM Tape Library)

Pavan

• Why do you need tldtest to move media around?

This will move media without NBU knowing this and can cause inventory to fail.