Forum Discussion

10 years ago

VM Instant recovery from AIR

Hello,

I am trying to run VM Instant recovery from AIR for one VM (deleted Vm) with command  "nbrestorevm -vmw -ir_activate -C dns-01 -temp_location "ESX - 08" -vmpo -vmproxy vccenterserver "  NETBACKUP 7.6.0.4 but i got error "can't connect to client(58)" . Although i have added the hosts name for Vc center server,ESX server and Master servers on main site and backup site and all clients are resolve able.

Both NetBackup domains are installed on same AD domain. 

On nbfsd logs we got:

15:51:49.360 [9736.8884] <16> ivfs_cred_deactivate: no xdata (0000000000000000)

15:51:49.360 [9736.8884] <16> ivfs_cred_deactivate: no xdata (0000000000000000)

15:46:20.935 [9736.8884] <16> rpc_recv_stream: recv, err 10053 (-1) - sock 552 on 0000000000A32090

I tried main site and its working fine 

Regards

• HI.

Sloved...

I just ran VM backup for one VM on DR site successfully and the problem has been resolved , i have added the DR master server on host file for main master and i changed the -vmproxy parameter to media server  (master server at the same time) insted on vmproxy server on nbrestorevm  (although i tested it before)

nbrestorevm -vmw -ir_activate -C dns-01 -temp_location "ESX - 08" -vmpo -vmproxy media rserver on DR

"Storage lifecycle policies (SLPs) can use Auto Image Replication to replicate a virtual machine backup image to another NetBackup domain. To restore the virtual machine from the replicated image, you must include the -vmproxy option on the nbrestorevm command. Use the -vmproxy option to specify the backup host (access host) that is in the domain where the virtual machine was replicated. Without the -vmproxy option, nbrestorevm defaults to the backup host in the original domain and the restore fails"

4 Replies

• Before testing restores - can you do backups of VMs at remote site using same credentials provided?

Which server/client is used as Recovery host at remote site? 
    Can you use the same host as Backup host for backups at this site?

Did you remember to clear host cache after updating hosts files and/or DNS?

• Hi Marianne,

How are you?

We use DR only for replication, i created a VM policy to check if i can access the Vcenter /VMS with the same credentials and it succeeded but i didn't run the job 

What do u mean by Recovery host? If u mean vcenter server , yes i use same VC center to backup vm on main site and to run VM IR on replicated site 

I restarted the server multiple times.

Thanks 

• Apologies. I meant 'Restore host'.

Restore Host is the equivalent of a Backup Host.

You need to add/configure this host in the same way as adding the backup host when configuring NBU the first time for VM backups.

So, before testing restores, go through all the steps to configure backups at DR site.
    Best to create a test VM and see if you can back it up.

The backup host at DR will be the Restore Host for Instant Recovery.
    Bear in mind that Windows VM needs a Windows Restore Host. 

Have you gone through all the steps listed in Chapter 11 of NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide
    to prepare for VIR?
    See 'Requirements for Instant Recovery for VMware' on p.169.

• HI.

Sloved...

I just ran VM backup for one VM on DR site successfully and the problem has been resolved , i have added the DR master server on host file for main master and i changed the -vmproxy parameter to media server  (master server at the same time) insted on vmproxy server on nbrestorevm  (although i tested it before)

nbrestorevm -vmw -ir_activate -C dns-01 -temp_location "ESX - 08" -vmpo -vmproxy media rserver on DR

"Storage lifecycle policies (SLPs) can use Auto Image Replication to replicate a virtual machine backup image to another NetBackup domain. To restore the virtual machine from the replicated image, you must include the -vmproxy option on the nbrestorevm command. Use the -vmproxy option to specify the backup host (access host) that is in the domain where the virtual machine was replicated. Without the -vmproxy option, nbrestorevm defaults to the backup host in the original domain and the restore fails"