Forum Discussion

5 years ago

Vmware Backups Enable File Recovery Option

Hello;

I did some research but I couldn't find a clear answer. What are the disadvantages of this feature(enable file recovery ftom VM) on the master?

if this is the case, I want to create two different policies enable file recovery option VMS and the others.

• I dont think there is any disadvantage unless you dont want the ability to recover files from it. 

The Catalog will have file history as usual for oher machines in addition to Snapshot Information. 

The only advantage I can think of is Catalog will not index its files which will save Caalog space (Theoritically )

But a Veritas Engineer will be at a better position to answer this

Regards

9 Replies

• Hi

I think NBU catalog migth be bigger when this is enabled... but in now a days no one is considering this as down side - thanks to storage being cheaper and cheaper...

MustafaAogluGT
      Level 3

Hello quebek ,  i saw advices about after the certain catalog backup size  create new netbackup domain. I try to prevent my environment to need of new netbackup domain. Many thanks.

• m sorry but why do you think there will be any disadvantages on Master ?

I have been using this option ever since it made available by Veritas and never had issues.

• you will have more disadvantage if you create seperate policy for file recovery and for VM, as the backup data has to travel twice from source to Netbackup, it will put load on network, Netbackup master & media server and in catalog, its simply doubles the work. it is not a best practice and i highly discourage to doing it, unless you have a better justification for server to server basic. 

• I dont think there is any disadvantage unless you dont want the ability to recover files from it. 

The Catalog will have file history as usual for oher machines in addition to Snapshot Information. 

The only advantage I can think of is Catalog will not index its files which will save Caalog space (Theoritically )

But a Veritas Engineer will be at a better position to answer this

Regards