Forum Discussion

Amsteel
Level 3
14 years ago

Warning "Unable To Set Short Name On Restore" when restoring Windows 7 X64 Client

NetBackup 7.0.1, master/media server is w2k3 with all patches.

Client is Win 7 Enterprise. Got the warning during the full restore with system state to the same client even though the restore showed successful. Most of them are on Adobe CS program folders. Now none of the Adobe programs is functional.

Has anyone experience this before?

• Please share steps that you have taken to do the full system restore?

Also - do you have all relevant restore logs? (bprd on master, bpbrm & bptm on media server and tar on client)

Have a look at this TN to recover a W2008 client. Windows 7 client recovery should be the same.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87810

9 Replies

• Please share steps that you have taken to do the full system restore?

Also - do you have all relevant restore logs? (bprd on master, bpbrm & bptm on media server and tar on client)

Have a look at this TN to recover a W2008 client. Windows 7 client recovery should be the same.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87810

• According to the TECH, missed step 4 and started step 5 from the master server because tried three times from client and all got timeout error. I will update once the next try is done 

Thanks,

• Are there any document regarding setup of BMR for Windows 7 X64 client? I am trying to use a windows 2k3 as boot server but can't even find the windows 7 machine under the client list, even after full backup has been done successful.

Thanks,

• Restoring system state files, once NetBackup restores files with alternate filenames(step 1), and Windows renames them to their original names at reboot(step 2). If same files have been already exist at step 1, their short name have been already acquired by existing files, and NetBackup can not give its original short name to restoring files. In general, applications does not mind file's short name. I guess there are any other reason that adobe cs doesn't work.
  • >> Are there any document regarding setup of BMR for Windows 7 X64 client?

BMR supports Windows 7 X64 client restore in 7.0.1 release. You can use w2k3 boot server to restore this client box.

After successful full backup, did you refresh your client list menu from the GUI. Basically auto-refresh does not happen.

Or you can fire "bmrs -o list -r config" command from your BMR master server and see if you can find your Windows 7 client entry.

You can refer BMR admin guide for setup details.

Thanks.

-Mandar

• Did exactly the same as the TECH but nothing changed. Also found Win 7 is no longer activated and has to re-active it. Verifying the full backup returns ok. The log file under TAR folder is about 770MB and searched no error with some WRNs, such as re-boot required, can't set short names...

I am running out of ideas, does anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks,

• I did follow the BMR guide however only found the windows 2k3 clients but no win 7 machines. Are there any particular special procedures for win 7 x64 machines? The master server is 32bit of Windows 2k3. Net Backup is 7.0.1 (both server and client).

I will try another full backup on one of the win 7 machine but so far I have no luck on that.

Thanks,

Bin

• Ok. Finally find out the issue. The Daemon tool install some atapi drive to simluate the CD and caused the BMR failure. Thanks for the help.

• Since I solved the BMR issue and the BMR worked well.

Thanks,