Forum Discussion

hraju
Level 4
15 years ago

Unknown Dg appears in Disk Groups with some or all disks

Hello,
Since support from Symantec is slow (not every case, but this time), I am asking this on forum.
I am doing a new installation and suddenly I have this new DG called "Unknown Dg". There are disks with status foreign and type Dynamic. I cannot do anything with these disk (oh powerfull SFW). Usually I can destroy DG or remove disk from DG etc, but not in this case.
Reason for having this situation:
- I made two cluster Disk Groups with same name on different servers with different disks and suddenly disks from this Disk groups are in disk group Unknown Dg
- I reinstalled SFW and suddenly all disks from all dynamic Disk groups are in Unknown Dg ;(

I searched documentation and found this:
If the cluster software attempts to fail over a disk group to another node that has a disk group with the same name or if you move a disk group to another node that has a disk group with the same name, unpredictable results can occur. (well now we know the result).

I searched internet and found this: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/287444.htm (there is part telling you to reinstall SFW - but this makes it even worse)

I found also this:
vxtool is used to clear the SFW Private Region from a disk and would be used in instances when you were attempting to destroy a Disk Group or remove a problem Disk that has a corrupted private region on it. The resetmbr clears the private region and writes a new signature to the disk.

Do you think that vxtool can help me with this ?

my config: w2k3 r2 sp2, VSFW 5.1 sp1, fiber HBA qlogic QLE2460, and IBM DS8300 array

• So I worked on this with Symantec support. We tried vxtool but with no avail, because we got mesages saying that disc is not usable !

but after I managed to have all disks back. What I did is:

- installed all recommended Windows fixes (2 recommendation from qlogic - HBA manufacturer, 2 recommendation from IBM manufacturer of SDD DSM)
    - updated driver of HBA - STOR Miniport (to recommended level)
    - updated firmware, bios, fcode and EFI of Qlogic HBA (everything is in one download package - I did it via Sansurfer FC HBA GUI Manager)
    - installed Subsystem Device Driver DSM Version 2.4.2.1-2 from IBM
    - configured all two HBAs from Sansurfer FC HBA GUI Manager

this helped me to get back all disks, but one - quorum disk was still missing in VEA

so removed both cluster nodes from cluster with command "cluster node /forcecleanup"

and than when I did a rescan, I was able to import Disc group with no missing discs. Then I destroyed all disc groups (except BasicDG with boot disc). And I am going to configure this cluster again.
    So I think, that problem was because the servers were part of MSCS cluster.

But first I will create a quorum disc group and then create MSCS cluster. I hope it will work out this way.

I will let you know about the outcome.

11 Replies