Forum Discussion

emax
Level 2
17 years ago

BESR 7: cannot backup to network attached external disk - error E7D1000A

I am evaluating BE SR 7, desktop and server edition.
All results very positive except when I am trying to backup to a network attached external disk (PackardBell NetStore3500).

Network disk configured with IP address to make part of a domain or workgroup.
Network disk can be read and written in Windows explorer and by other applications.
A drive letter (Z:) is assigned  to UNC  \\devicename\share

When defining the backup destination on this network drive for any backup (Recovery Point or Files Backup), I get message
E7D1000A  "Parent  '//devicename/share' exists but is not a directory"

Backing up through network on another computer HDD works OK.

Problems occurs with BESR Server edition (7.0.0.20351) on Windows Server 2003 (SP2) in a domain environment or BESR Desktop edition (7.0.0.20351) on Windows XP (SP2) in a workgroup environment.

Any idea to solve this ?
Thanks in advance for your help.

17 Replies

• Makes no difference whatsoever... I obviously checked this out right at the start of the problem.

So we now know that Ghost 12 (and 14?) cannot handle network connected drives so perhaps a move to an alternative product (like Acronis?) will be the answer as it has been an exceptionally long time trying to get an answer from Symantec.

Regards

Chris

• Are you able to access the share in the application by using the unc path name?

How about ip address?

• I just hooked a new Seagate external hard drive and was getting a similar error when attempting use Ghost 14. I also wasn't able to save a Word Doc to the hard drive. The Vista error message was "you don't have permission to save to to this location . . . " I changed the Permisisons on the drive and everything now appears to be working.

Cy

Message Edited by cydogg on 12-27-2008 10:44 PM
  • I also have thsi problem with my iOmega 500G NAS. I get several error messages......

-\\192.168.0.6\PUBLIC\Ghost Backup\ is a read-only location and is not a valid destination.
    --Error E7D1001D: Unable to open '//192.168.0.6/public/Ghost Backup/Destination_Location_Test_File'. Error EBAB03F1: The file exists. Error E7D10049: Device public appears to be offline, disconnected, or otherwise unavailable.

Can you help?
    RW

• Guys,

Why you are using Ghost for the image and not the Backup Exec SRD?
    I used this disk many times and worked fine with removable drives or remote network paths without any issue.
    The initial post was about System Recovery but you all now say about Ghost 12 and 14.

So, is the Backup Exec System Recovery Disk available?

Regards, 
  • Nikos -- The newer versions of Ghost for home use are actually based on BESR, not the Ghost product that many of us IT folkshave come to know and use.  We can blame this confusion on Symantec's propensity to rename and rebrand on a regular basis.  A consultant I worked with recently became quite confused when i told him we were imaging our servers with Backup Exec System Recovery.  He thought I meant Backup Exec for Windows Servers.  Once I demonstrated the product, he came away with a better understanding.

Everone --I don't know if the "Ghost" versions of this product use the same name for the service, but in BESR, the Service name is BackupExecSystemRecovery.  If this service is starting with the Local Sytem account, it won't be able to access resources on your network.  You have to change the logon account for service startup to either a domain or workgroup account that has priveledges on the resource you want to connect to.  When you connect through Windows Explorer, you are using your own logon priveledges to access the resource.  The Local System account does not have network acess priveledges by design.
  • I also have the IOMEGA 500G home network drive.  I'm trying to take a backup of my entire C drive and it won't work and now I know why.  To use the IOMEGA as a network drive it must be formatted as FAT32 or it will not work.  My C drive is way bigger than 4G so therefore ghost can't create a backup file big enough.  The error message is completely missleading and useless.  So unless you can get Ghost to create the backup file as many smaller files (which I can't see an option for anywhere) the product is useless to me.  Lucky I got an evaluation copy before I bought it........