Forum Discussion

MichaelM
Level 2
16 years ago

BESR 8.0.3.28325 Hangs at 5% when Creating Recovery Point

I'm setting up a new installation of Dell Poweredge 2900 Windows 2008 (x32 bit) Server, with Dual Quad-Core Xeon processors, 4GB memory, with a 1.7Tb Raid 5 Array and Dell TL2000 Tape Library. The only other applications I have on the system now are, Symantec Backup Exec 12, Symantec AntiVirus Corporate 10.x, Microsoft Defender, Diskeeper 2008 and Undelete 2009. 

When I try to create a Recovery Point on a network share (I've tried creating one on an Adaptec SnapServer NAS or even an attached workstation) it hangs at 5%. I've let it sit for 24 hours and it still will not go beyong the 5% mark.  I cannot cancel the operation and the only way to halt it,  is to reboot the server.  I can run backup jobs from Symantec Backup Exec 12.0 just fine to tape, or any of the previously mentioned shares but not with BESR.  I'm only attempting a 18gb snapshot and the drive is defragmented. Also I've tried the options of Disabling Smart Sector Copying and Ignoring Bad sectors without success.

I have not brought the server online "live" yet and can afford to experiment if anyone has any ideas.  I am willing to share any BESR logs or provide additional information  if that would be helpful

Thank you

15 Replies