Forum Discussion

Wizard_IT
Level 3
15 years ago

BESR2010 SymSnap.sys BSOD

We've currently got BESR2010 installed on a Dell PowerEdge R710 with Windows 2008 R2. The server is running as a DC with the Hyper-V role installed (hosting two machines).

As soon as we try to run a backup the server reboots with the following BSOD error event log:

Fault bucket X64_0xCA_2_IMAGE_symsnap.sys, type 0
Event Name: BlueScreen
Response: http://oca.microsoft.com/resredir.aspx?sid=10&Bucket=X64_0xCA_2_IMAGE_symsnap.sys&ID=fb0bb2e5-bfe1-4624-bcf8-cd47dabb1e52
Cab Id: 0

This also looks to happen on a PowerEdge T300 that's configured in a similar way with 2008 R2 and Hyper-V running.

Any help / suggestions?

12 Replies

• I was experiencing this exact same issue. At first I was running Windows Server 2008 R1 with Hyper-V on a Dell PE 6950 with approximately 20 VM's. BESR2010 was working flawlessly. I decided to move to R2 and performed a clean install on the same server, leaving the VM's on their dedicated PCI-E SSD untouched. Install & setup went flawlessly. Got the VM's up and running with zero issues. BESR2010 backup kicked off and I experienced the exact same BSOD and details in my event log. I then found this post on Google when searching for the term "hyperv r2 besr2010 crash". I checked the link posted 2 posts above this one, got the Microsoft hotfix referenced installed, and now it's working fine. Thanks Chris. I appreciate you seeing this issue through to the resolution. Good job! 
  • i have the same issue (i.e. symsnap.sys bsod), with besr2010 and sbs2008 - but instead of having hyper-v installed, i have vmware server 2.0 installed and hosting machines. i have downloaded the hotfix mention above but it doesn't install due to an error message along the lines of 'update does not apply to your system'
    does anyone know if there is a similar fix for besr and vmware ?
    thanks in advance...