Forum Discussion

omits
Level 3
12 years ago

SEPM 12 Suite

I have this suite and have only installed the A/V coponent (that has not worked properly). I want to backup my server as one of my RAID drives is faulty. In this suite which product do I need to install to do a single backup of the server for reinstall to the same hardware just in case I need it? I've read all the documentation (SBE 4.0 getting started guide) but am still not sure!

I have SBS2008. Thanks.

• Omits, in direct answer to your question:  there is no product in the suite that backs up a server.

The AV component will install on a server and on clients.

The back-up component is designed to run on individual desktops.

The Management Solution file you indicated is supposed to run on a server - but supports Backup Exec.

As stated, you need to purchase another solution to back-up your SBS server.

Hope that helps - if so, please tag this.

Thanks!

8 Replies

• you referring to only AV component installed not the SEPM ( manager), correct? if yes, you need to install the SEP AV component after you rebuild.
  • I am trying to find out how to make a backup of just the server. Which product of this suite should I install to do this?

• you can think of Symantec BESR http://www.symantec.com/system-recovery-server-edition
  • I have the SEPM 12 suite. Where is the installation instructions for the backup part of that suite?

• I do not think this is the correct advice. I have in my SBS downloads the file:

Sym_System_Recovery_2011_10.0.1.41708_Management_Solution_64bit.

I have looked at the documentation and this says this solution is for large systems with over 20 servers. I have bought the  SYMC PROTECTION SUITE SMALL BUSINESS EDITION 4.0 PER USER I/O BASIC 12 MONTHS (25 licenses).

Please direct me to the Backup and Recovery solution (or tell me if I haven't got it!) that is suitable for my problem. I only want to backup my server for full recovery in case I need it. I have not yet installed any of the suites recovery software.

• Omits, in direct answer to your question:  there is no product in the suite that backs up a server.

The AV component will install on a server and on clients.

The back-up component is designed to run on individual desktops.

The Management Solution file you indicated is supposed to run on a server - but supports Backup Exec.

As stated, you need to purchase another solution to back-up your SBS server.

Hope that helps - if so, please tag this.

Thanks!