Forum Discussion

kahml
Level 4
13 years ago

SPS SBE - SSR 2011: I am very frustrated and quite disappointed...

I just installed Symantec Protection Suite - Small Business Edition Symantec System Recovery 2011 on a Window 7 PC that is part of a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain.

Following the PC's reboot, I received the following error message when SSR launched:

Unable to load configuration information

blah, blah, Error 80040154

I used Google to search for "Symantec System Recovery 2011 80040154" and found that there was a batch fix file.

I followed the directions and ran it.

I restarted the PC and launched SSR and I received the following error message:

E1AD312: You do not have sufficient privileges to perform this operation

Now, I found this very strange because I was using "run as Administrator" to start the program.

I used Google to search for this error message and found that there was a fix; I had to register another DLL.

Once again, I started the program and tried to run the first wizard, and I received the following error message:

E1AD27F0: Cannot determine protection

Object reference not set ot an instance of an object

At this point, I have spent close to an hour trying to launch a program.

That - simply put - is absurd!

I don't even have the patience to contact support right now, I'm afraid I'm going to throttle someone.

• Fine, Chris - will do.

Going back to the original post:  During the initial installation, I was logged on to the computer as a user, and ran the installation via a network share with Administrator privileges.  That, obviously did not work.

After uninstalling the product, I logged on as local administrator and the installation worked as expected.

Nowhere in the documentation does it state that one must log on as local administrator - and I don't know why that would be an unstated expectation, especially when Windows prompts for elevated privileges to perform the installation.  But somehow, not all of the components are installed properly if someone is not the local administrator...

Case closed!

20 Replies