Forum Discussion

12 years ago

No backup seen in Restore

Hello

I am running Symmnatec Backup Exec 12.5 on a Windows Enterprise Server 2003 32 bit. I have been doing the Exchange Full backup, but when I go into Restore, to check that I can restore the backup, there is no backup for the Microsoft Exchange Information Store for that date. There is an older Full backup, but when I click on it there are no files inside the stores. When I do the backup, it is backing up to disk, and it overwrites the last backup. Further, when I check the Exchange Folder that I setup in the Device section, I can see that the backup has happened, because the folders with the backup date is there.

What do I need to do, so that Restore can see the most up to date backup?

Thanks

Stephen Keating

• Hi You can try couple of things first. 1 For backup which you are trying to restore right now ,if this backup is on disk, please go to b2d folder in devices tab and then please look for the IMG if this is GRT backup and right click on ImG file to click on restore data. 2If you have got job log for this backp in backup in backup exec ,please look into that for the IMG file number and search for same in devices tab in b2d folder or on physical location on computer were B2d is located, once you see the file you can right click on the file to click on restore data. Thanks

8 Replies

• Hi You can try couple of things first. 1 For backup which you are trying to restore right now ,if this backup is on disk, please go to b2d folder in devices tab and then please look for the IMG if this is GRT backup and right click on ImG file to click on restore data. 2If you have got job log for this backp in backup in backup exec ,please look into that for the IMG file number and search for same in devices tab in b2d folder or on physical location on computer were B2d is located, once you see the file you can right click on the file to click on restore data. Thanks
  • Thanks so much for your response. If I start a restore from the b2b folder, and GRT is working, will I be given the chance to restore an individual mailbox during the restore process? BTW, I am not needing to restore anything right now, I just am trying to sort out the problem of not seeing files in the Restore tab.

Stephen Keating

• You don't mention you exchange version. What version do you have ?

• Hi If you are saying backup of exchange is using get option enabled and also if it is running on disk ,then you should see IMG ,as IMG would hold GRT information for exchange information store, so somehow it that has been overwritten, then you would not be able to see it in restore. So please ensure IMG files are present in backup to disk folder for your old backupset Thanks
  • ...so are you saying that your backup overwrites the previous night's backup every time? If so then this explains why you can't restore Exchange.

You'd either need to make sure that your Append/Overwrite Protection Period settings are correct, or duplicate to another B2D or tape to retain backups for longer.

• My Full Backups overwrite the previous weekends Full backup. When I look in the Restore tab for the previous backups that I might need to do a restore from, there is only a very old one of the Microsoft Information Store, which has no files in it. The more recent backup is not shown there. The more recent backup does show up in the Device folder. I was wondering if there is something I must do to have the most recent backup show up in the Restore tab.

• No there isn't. It should list there as long as the date range is correct, so check that out.

You can also try catalogging the B2D folder and trying a restore again.