Forum Discussion

19 years ago

difference between "c:\windows" and "system state"

Sorry if this is a very dumb question, but i just can't find the answer in the documentation. I have win2003 servers, b.e. 9.1 and would like to make sure that i am backing up the whole system.

Is it enough to backup the "system state" - so will that include all files under c:\windows and subdirectories?

Or do i also have to select "c:\windows" as a directory to backup, together with backing up the system state?

Or do i have to select "system state" and *some* directories (which ones?) under c:\windows?

I am just turning in circles trying to find the correct answer...

Regards
Christoph

4 Replies

• Hello,

To restore a system completely you will need to take a full backup. So in this case you will need to select c:\ drive and system state.

The system-specific data that comprises System State includes the registry, the COM+ Class Registration database, and boot and system files.

The Certificate Services database will also be included if the server is operating as a certificate server. If the server is a domain controller, the data also includes Active Directory services database and SYSVOL directory.
    The System State data is backed up and restored only as a collection, never individually.

To restore System State data to a server that is not a domain controller, you can perform a basic restore. If the target server is currently a domain controller, start the target server in Directory Services Restore Mode before performing a restore of the System State data.

Please see the technotes below:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/236661
    http://support.veritas.com/docs/235161

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.
  • I backup all local drive in Unix and system state. Then I did clean windows /netbackup install, then restore c drive and THEN restore system state with overwrite existing file. This brought back my windws as it is. Hope this help.
  • Hello,

With reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.
  • thanks, the feedback was great.
    i understand that i will have to backup c:\windows as well as the system state.
    there might be some directories in c:\windows which do not necessarily have to be backuped since already contained in systemstate, i'll backup everything for now.

thanks and regards
    christoph