Forum Discussion

18 years ago

Shortcut Deletion Without deleting Archived Item?

Hello everyone:

I just wanted to run this by you; I have a client who basically wants to archive mailbox items by age with different settings for different folders (i.e. inbox, sent Items, Deleted Items) and create shortcuts for the archived items.

Fine.

But now they want to delete the shortcut at a given interval (i.e. 3 days, 14 days, 60 days) but they do not want to delete the actual archived item from the vault store.

My thought was to create different retention categories. The shortcuts would then get deleted once the item's retention was met.

This would seem to work okay except that if the Storage Expiry is set to Never, the Shortcuts never get deleted either.

Can anybody think of another way (or any way) to do this in EV?

Thanks in advance,

Daryl Katauskas
  • I don't think it is possible to do what your client suggest within EV but what about another approach.

Archive the data but don't remove the original item, this meets your goal of archiving the data. Create a recipient policy within Exchange to manage the mailboxes in such a way that the recipient policy deletes the items in the different folders in the time frame specified by your client.

The only disadvantage that I see to this approach relates to storage and the fact that for at least some period of time message items will exist in both EV and Exchange. If your client is OK with this then I think this approach could work quite nicely.

2 Replies

• I don't think it is possible to do what your client suggest within EV but what about another approach.

Archive the data but don't remove the original item, this meets your goal of archiving the data. Create a recipient policy within Exchange to manage the mailboxes in such a way that the recipient policy deletes the items in the different folders in the time frame specified by your client.

The only disadvantage that I see to this approach relates to storage and the fact that for at least some period of time message items will exist in both EV and Exchange. If your client is OK with this then I think this approach could work quite nicely.
  • Nue:

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out a way to do this within EV; but couldn't come up with anything. I'll bring up you solution to my client and see what they think.

Thanks again for your help!

Daryl