Forum Discussion

mmccarty
Level 2
13 years ago

Netbackup tape usage reports

Community members,

I have a question regarding a report that I am trying to generate.  What I am looking for is a way to report  average monthly tape usage per media server.  We are using OpsCenter and the closest report I can find is the "Media Summary by Media Server"  The problem with this report is it only gives a point in time report on what the media server is using, not the average for the month. 

So I guess this questions is best suited for companies that provide backup services to multiple departments and ask that those departments pay for their resources.  How do you track their tape usage?  Do you just keep an eye on it manually or is there a tool better suited to accomplish what I need?

Netbackup 7.1.0.2 running on RHEL 5.6
OpsCenter 7.1 running on RHEL 5.5

Thanks!
Micah
The Genome Institute at Washington University in St. Louis

3 Replies

• OpsCenter is the free reporting version, if you upgrade to OpsCenter Analytics you do have the ability to enable 'cost analysis and chargeback for OpsCenter Analytics'.  The details are covered in the guide:

www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC3708

The data is there so if you talk with your Sales Rep, maybe you can get a trial key to confirm it fits what you are looking for.

• You can catch the used tapes with bpimage list command and grep for fragments and awk the size and the tape is a few lines script.
  • I have requested a trial key from my Sales rep.  I'll give that a shot and see if that gives us what we need.

Thanks!