Forum Discussion

krono
Level 3
17 years ago

Retention Period Problem

Hello,   We have 7 servers to backup during the night. We are using Maxell ULTRIUM LTO 2 tapes into a Scalar robot. Normaly the backup takes two tapes. But sometimes it takes 3 tapes. I don't uders...
    17 years ago

krono wrote:

How is it possible to append on a media ??? I never set this.

This is default (only?) action. If there is ACTIVE media in the Volume Pool (i.e. space left on tape) then when a backup starts it will use that tape from the Volume Pool. If there are no ACTIVE media in the Volume Pool (i.e. FULL/no space left on tape) then when the backup starts it will assign a tape from the Scratch Pool (if one is configured). If there are no ACTIVE tapes available and a Scratch Pool is NOT configured then the backup will fail.

krono wrote:
    I believed that there is only two possibilities. If the tape is available it takes it and overwrite everything, or the tape is not available and it take a tape from the scratch pool...

Will only 'overwrite' everything IF all images have expired (Time Assigned column in Media/Volume Pool will be blank). Yes, if no tape available it will take a tape from Scratch.

krono wrote:

In which situation the policy will perform an append to media instead of an overwrite ?

See above - will append if tape available & ACTIVE (not FULL), 'overwrite' only if ALL images have expired.

krono wrote:

When I perform a MediaWritten on the tape which is full, i can see old backups of more than one month !! How is it possible that the tape is full but contains old backups that are expired due to retention period ?

What's the latest/most recent expiry of the images? Possibly newer images appended to this tape. Could be that this tape is frozen.