Forum Discussion

PRR
Level 3
13 years ago

Backup Exec Server service stopping automatically.

I am having issues with my Backup Exec and Remote Agent setup.

I have an Windows XP machine with Backup Exec 2010, which connects through a local area network to a Server 2003 (R2) machine which holds the physical removable media, and the Backup Exec Remote Agent package.

Up until recently, and for reasons I can't explain, the Backup Exec 2010 no longer connects to the Media Server on the Server 2003 machine anymore, claiming that the Backup Exec services have stopped. I check the services.msc on the Server 2003 machine, and indeed the Backup Exec Server service is stopped and the services that have this as a dependency (Backup Exec Agent Browser & Backup Exec Job Engine) are also stopped. When trying to start the Backup Exec Server service, I get the following message:

"The Backup Exec Server service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

Is this by design? I've never noticed this occur before, and it's stopping the Windows XP Backup Exec 2010 client from connecting to the Media Server on the Server 2003 machine as the other services need to run off it.

I have tried a machine reboot, I have tried repairing the Remote Agent install on the Server 2003 machine, I have also reinstalled from fresh, but the problem persists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Hello folks, very sorry for the incredibly late conclusion of this. Have been using a basic BAT copy as a temporary backup onto an ExtHDD. Think it's likely an actual tape drive fault, as it's started throwing up errors, and not loading Media Libraries correctly in Computer Management and so on recently, we're going to get that replaced. Thanks for taking a look into the issue and such, but I'm really starting to think it's a device fault over BackupExec.

Thanks very-many.

20 Replies