Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Backup Exec Stopped Services

Hi,

Im running Backup Exec 2010 on a Windows 2008 R2 Server and I've been experiencing a strange problem the last few weeks. Every morning when I log  onto the server I am greeted by the backup exec services manager dialog box that prompts me to restart the backup exec services. Since they have all been stopped overnight apparently for some reason I have to restart the services every morning and this is getting really frustrating. Please advise as to how I get solve this very annoying issue?

Regards,

• I too am unable to apply the SP4 update to the BKUPEXEC instance.  What I did was to go to Windows Update and hide the update.  This way, Windows Update will not try to update the instance.

18 Replies

• This could be the problem. Could you stop all the Backup Exec services when no jobs are running and download and install the service pack manually.

• Hi Graig,

The account does not lock out. I am on BE 2010 just not sure if it is R3 as it says media server version 13 and desktop and laptop option v 3.1. I did however noticed that the sql server 2005 express edition is still trying to install service pack 4 every night. I have downloaded the service pack and tried to install it with a clean boot but i still cannot get rid of that update. Please help me take the update out from windows update.

Thanks...!

• ...does the account perhaps lock out? Are you on BE 2010 R3?

Thanks!

• Hi Graig,

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately that didn't do me much good, as on friday checked and confirmed that the domain admin account has all the rights as listed in the article. However that did not solve my problem, as this morning I was once again faced with the same dillema. I'm still getting the services stopped dialog box which I then have to manually restart.

I also set my backup exec service manager to be excluded in my AV Firewall, however I think this has been an issue before I installed the new AV. Will still test like this and get back to you.

Best Regards,

• Hi Sy,

The BESA needs the following rights:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH23689

Without them, you're going to run into issues.

As for your AV, check to see if it is actively scanning the BE services, and if so, put in exclusions for them. I've had McAfee block BE services for some strange reason on a number of occassions.

Thanks!

• Hi Guys,

Thanks for the speedy replies. I've checked the event viewer and the following backup exec services were indeed not running:

Backup Exec Agent Browser
    Backup Exec Device & Media Service
    Backup Exec Job Engine
    Backup Exec Server

I also found the following error in the event viewer: The Backup Exec service 'Backup Exec Server' failed to start because it uses a Windows Server account that does not have the following necessary privileges:
    Create Token Object

As for the AV, we are currently using Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 and not sure what to look for there...

• ...are you on BE 2010 R3? Might be worth the upgrade as it fixed a number of issues with previous versions. You can use the same license keys. You just need to grab copies of the Data/Catalogs folders before doing any upgrade.

Otherwise check and make sure that any AV running on the server isn't perhaps blocking the BE services...

Thanks!

• The next time this happens, open the Windows Servvices console and see if all the Be services are stopped. Search in the windows event viewer for any messages related to a service crash. Check if there are any pending updates for SQL. I have typically seen this before when there is an update trying to install over SQL Instance and ends up stopping/crashing BE.