Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Backup Exec Stopped Services

Hi,

Im running Backup Exec 2010 on a Windows 2008 R2 Server and I've been experiencing a strange problem the last few weeks. Every morning when I log  onto the server I am greeted by the backup exec services manager dialog box that prompts me to restart the backup exec services. Since they have all been stopped overnight apparently for some reason I have to restart the services every morning and this is getting really frustrating. Please advise as to how I get solve this very annoying issue?

Regards,

• I too am unable to apply the SP4 update to the BKUPEXEC instance.  What I did was to go to Windows Update and hide the update.  This way, Windows Update will not try to update the instance.

18 Replies

• As things now appear to be worse you should log a formal support case.

BTW your original problem was probably caused by the automated attempt to patch/update SQL as any attempt to stop the SQL instance for the Backup Exec database will stop the BE services.

• Yes that sure was most certainly the case. The eventviewer logged events for the SQL update almost every night, so I thought upgrading to SP3 would solve all those problems for me. Is there a specific number or email address that I should use to log a formal support case?

Regards,

• Thanks for the help guys. I did log a call with symantec and after much trial and tribulations, managed to get a successfull install of BE 2010 SP3. However that still did not solve my problem with the Microsoft SQL Express 2005 SP4 Update. The update is still failing each and every night and every morning I still have to start the BE Services manually.

But I'm not completely discouraged yet, will keep looking for a solution, the one I haven't tried yet is fiddling with the registry keys. Yes I am a little scared of making a mess of things again once I start messing with the registry, so I'm still gonna need some expert advice there.

Regards,

• I too am unable to apply the SP4 update to the BKUPEXEC instance.  What I did was to go to Windows Update and hide the update.  This way, Windows Update will not try to update the instance.

• Thanks for the tip pkh, I did just that. Will let you know if it resolved my issue.

• Hi Guys,

Looks like all my sql updates are failing and it's not just SP4. Last night I had a security update that also failed to install for the current SQL version (SP3). This is what i'm getting from the eventviewer:

Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition - Update 'GDR 4060 for SQL Server Database Services 2005 ENU (KB2494113)' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB2494113_sqlrun_sql.msp.log.

• This is more a question for Microsoft rather than BE.

• Thanks pkh, that actually worked for me as well. I think this is generally a SQL problem and so should be taken up with microsoft...!