Forum Discussion

cffit
Level 3
14 years ago

SharePoint 2010 backup and restore to test SharePoint environment

We have a production SharePoint 2010 environment with one Web/App server and one SQL server.  Servers are Windows 2008 R2 and SQL 2008 R2.  We need to setup a test environment with the exact setup as production.  How do I backup the entire SharePoint 2010 environment and restore on our test environment within the same AD?  I have 2 test servers setup just as our production servers, one Web/App and one SQL.  Same versions. 

1.  Do I install SharePoint 2010 initially on the test environment then restore from our prod backups?

2.  At what point do I need to get our test servers to before I restore the prod SharePoint backup to it?

3.  What are the steps to do the restore?

4.  Are there any things I'll have to do other than restore?

• Hello,

If you're restoring to the same AD environment you won't be able to restore everything from the Sharepoint backups because many of these resources cannot be redirected to a different server.  If you want to stay in the production domain,I would recommend building another Sharepoint environment similar to your production environment (same server OS, SQL, and Sharepoint version/build but different server names/IPs).  Create Web Applications with the same compliment of content databases as original and redirect your production content database backups to these newly built Web Apps. 

If you want to fully duplicate the Sharepoint environment, create an isolated AD domain network from your production network with a DC duplicating your production DC and follow the technote referenced above. Restore your Web server first without selecting any Sharepoint resources.  Then follow the technote to restore the SQL server and the Sharepoint resources. This process will use the same server names/IPs as original and will be direct restores rather than redirected.  Pay close attention to the restore order from the technote for the Sharepoint resources.

Russ

4 Replies

• First of all you need to have a Full backup of Sharepoint Server Farm. In the backup job selection list select the ServerFarm from the node "Microsoft Sharepoint Server Farm" as shown in the following figure:

Refer to the technotes for Backup Method and Best Practises " http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23847 " and " http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO21789 "

Now assume that your production servers are down and you need to restore the complete servers (in this case on your TEST servers). Ensure that the same Operating System with Service packs are installed. Then install Sharepoint with the same Topology as it was before (in this case same as it is in your production environment).

Refer to the technote " http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH53313 " for Disaster recovery procedure for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 or Sharepoint Server 2010 using Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers, version 11d or later

Thanks,

-Sush...

• I understand the idea behind the comment of "Install SharePoint with the same Topology", but what exactly does that mean?  Do I have to first create the farm and all the web apps? 

• Hello,

If you're restoring to the same AD environment you won't be able to restore everything from the Sharepoint backups because many of these resources cannot be redirected to a different server.  If you want to stay in the production domain,I would recommend building another Sharepoint environment similar to your production environment (same server OS, SQL, and Sharepoint version/build but different server names/IPs).  Create Web Applications with the same compliment of content databases as original and redirect your production content database backups to these newly built Web Apps. 

If you want to fully duplicate the Sharepoint environment, create an isolated AD domain network from your production network with a DC duplicating your production DC and follow the technote referenced above. Restore your Web server first without selecting any Sharepoint resources.  Then follow the technote to restore the SQL server and the Sharepoint resources. This process will use the same server names/IPs as original and will be direct restores rather than redirected.  Pay close attention to the restore order from the technote for the Sharepoint resources.

Russ

• Also a VERY IMPORTANT point that needs to be noted here is that while running the redirect restore job make sure that the Remote Agent service on your Sharepoint production server is stopped.

If by mistake any wrong information is provided in the redirect restore job, the restore goes to the production database and overwrites them, So to be on the safer side stop the Remote agent service on the Sharepoint servers which are in production.

Thanks,

-Sush...