Forum Discussion

esco
Level 4
11 years ago

symantec backup exec 2010 R2 license renewal

hi I have symantec backup exec 2010 R2 and my license expires on 31 May 2014. Every year I renew my license through a local vendor. However, this year when I contacted the vendor they are saying i...
    11 years ago

Unfortunately Tech Support members cannot fully confirm your renewel options - you do need to speak to our customer care teams for that and we therefore cannot provide more of a procedure than that.

The ability to upgrade to 2010 R3 has nothing to do with maintenance renewel you would be able to do that anyway because the same software serial numbers are used and you don't have to be issued with new ones. The procedure is download the ISO installer (either from our fileshare or a suitable BE 2010 R3 trialware link) and run the setup program to upgrade the current installation, then run liveupdate (possibly more than once) to apply the latest service pack and any additional hotfixes, then push out any remote agents to update them.

Typically (but possibly not always) going from a gold release through to R2 or R3 releases uses the same keycodes and is therefore is a free/no cash cost upgrade (it will cost some man hours to actually do it). If it is a complete new version that has been released then new licenses would be required (either via a maintenance agreement or a direct purchase at the time of upgrading)