Forum Discussion

10 years ago

VCS Setup - "Install A Clustered Master Server" Greyed Out

I originally posted this in the NetBackup forum but it seems to be a VCS issue that is the root of the problem: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/install-clustered-master-server-greyed-out

I am trying to set up a test NBU 7.6.0.1 master server cluster with VCS on Windows Server 2008 R2 but the option to "install a clustered master server" is greyed out.

I have built 2 new servers, installed SFHA / VCS 6.0.1 and configured disks / volumes / disk groups / VVR replication. The VCS installation has not been modified or customised in any way as from my understanding the NBU installation will create its own service group. I have carried out the initial configuration and added the remote cluster node. Within cluster explorer, the default ClusterService service group is all up and running, the global cluster option is enabled and the remote cluster status also shows that the other cluster is up.

Marianne has already asked me to run two commands with the following output:

'gabconfig -a' - "GAB gabconfig ERROR V-15-2-25022"

lltconfig -nvv - "LLT lltconfig ERROR V-14-2-15000 open \\.\llt failed: error number: 0x2"

I've probably just made a silly mistake somewhere but I can't figure out what piece of the puzzle I have missed - any ideas?

• We're testing this for your in our lab quick. Cluster doens't like it when the disk are not really shared, i would suggest changing it to and RDM. Will update you later but so far we see the same thing, with no diskgroup imported the option is greyed out.

• Hi Shaun,

In single node cluster, Install A Clustered Master Server" Greyed Out, if the LLT (heart beat) has not configured. please configured LLT and try to install NBU, the Install A Clustered Master Server should visible.

• To configure LLT manually:

1. Enable llt and gab.  These services are hidden and usually disabled by default so you need to enable them by editing the following registry entries by changing the "Start" key from 4 (disabled) to 2:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\llt

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\gab

2. Create an llthosts.txt and llttab.txt file in \Program Files\VERITAS\comms\llt as follows:

llthosts.txt

0 host_name_of_server

llttab.txt

set-node host_name_of_server
    set-cluster 11
    link Adapter0 MAC-ADDR_with_colon_seperator - ether - -
    start

The cluster id set by "set-cluster" should be unique so you should check if you have any other clusters on the same network and I guess you know you can get MAC address from "ipconfig /all"

3. Create an gabtab.txt file in \Program Files\VERITAS\comms\gab as follows:

gabtab.txt

gabconfig -c -n 1

Stop VCS:

hastop -all

Start llt, gab and VCSComm:

net start llt
    net start gab
    net start VCSComm

Check gab is running

gabconfig -a

Then start VCS:

hastart

Hopefully NBU wizard only checks llt and gab are running and not number of heartbeats, but if it is still greyed out you can create 2 heartbeats with the same interface so add line to llttab.txt like:

link Adapter1 SAME-MAC-ADDR_with_colon_seperator - ether - -

And then restart all services.

To undo above, just do reverse, but you can leave LLT and GAB running if you want.

Mike

37 Replies